Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Cranberry Chutney (Page 35)

  • Date: Saturday, December 15, 2007 -- 7pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Matty, Mike M, Teresa, Paul K, Beth, Lauren K, Jeremy, Ayelet, Michael L, Ann, Daniel L, Kent, Sue, Allan, Ann E, Jim, Marcia, Vladimir, Kitty, Muriel, Marc, and Tricia
  • Recipe Rating: A-


This chutney was a component recipe for one of the appetizers I made for our holiday party on Saturday. The appetizer itself wasn't great, but the chutney was very nice. The balance of the tart cranberries with the sugar and cider vinegar was just right. The shallots, garlic, and ginger gave it some depth of flavor. The only ingredient that seemed unnecessary was the red pepper flakes. The quantity was so small that I couldn't taste the heat at all. This chutney would be very versatile. It would be delicious not only as a complement to cheese, but also on a piece of meat or in a turkey sandwich.

Here is the recipe.



Today I went to the University of Chicago to do some work with V. They are between quarters right now, so the department was deserted. We took over a classroom and spent the entire day working, filling up chalkboard after chalkboard with crazy TR computations. It was fun! By late afternoon I was totally brain dead so we called it quits. We will meet up again tomorrow morning and plow through some more spectral sequences and norm-cofibration diagrams.

People often ask me to explain what it means to do math research. I find it very difficult to give people the right idea. It's a strange profession that way. I think even many of the people close to me have no idea what kind of work I do (I don't mean mathematical content of course (although that's true too), but just what kinds of questions mathematicians try to answer). When strangers ask me what I do, I have taken to just telling people that I teach college math. That is much easier to explain!

I am exhausted. I think it is bedtime!

No comments: