Monday, December 17, 2007

Parmesan Walnut Salad in Endive Leaves (Page 28)

  • Date: Saturday, December 15, 2007 -- 7pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Matty
  • Dining Companions: Mike M, Teresa, Paul K, Beth, Lauren K, Jeremy, Ayelet, Michael L, Ann, Daniel L, Kent, Sue, Allan, Ann E, Jim, Marcia, Vladimir, Kitty, Muriel, Marc, and Tricia
  • Recipe Rating: A-


This was one of the many hors d'oeuvres Matty and I served at our party on Saturday. These salad bites were extremely well received. They looked quite elegant and tasted great. The parmesan walnut salad was very well balanced. The flavor of the parmesan came through clearly, the walnuts provided a subtle nuttiness, and the celery gave it a bit of crunch. It was also well-dressed. The salad itself was a bit rich, so the clean, slightly bitter taste of the endive leaf was the perfect complement to it. Overall, this was a very nice appetizer. It was easy to throw together, and was a crowd-pleaser.

The recipe in The Book is essentially this one, but the one in The Book calls for 50 percent more parmesan.

My winter break travels have now officially begun! I am in Chicago, sitting on the sofa in Brad and Deniz's apartment, relaxing. Tomorrow I am meeting up with Vigleik to do some work, and then Wednesday it is off to Madison.

It has been a long time since I have lived close enough to Madison to drive home for the holidays. Ok, truth be told I went through a phase in graduate school when I really didn't want to fly, so I drove from Boston to Madison a few times. After a couple trips I learned that driving 18 hours alone is not really so fun. Fortunately, Bloomington to Madison is a mere 6 and a half hour drive (plus I have a driving companion!). It's great to be able to drive home for the holidays rather than flying. Plus, Chicago is conveniently on the way. On Wednesday we will pick my brother up at Ohare and head up to Wisconsin, where we will stay through Christmas Eve. Between 8pm on Christmas Eve and 1pm on Christmas Day Matty and I will drive the 8 and a half hours to Columbus Ohio (and hopefully also get some sleep). It's a bit of a crazy schedule, but it involves seeing lots of people that we care about, and having tons of holiday fun!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

this one was good. Belgian endive is an underappreciated delicacy. Dukakis was right!

Teena said...

I agree!