Sunday, December 16, 2007

Tzatziki (Page 12)

  • Date: Saturday, December 15, 2007 -- 7pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Mike M, Teresa, Paul K, Beth, Lauren K, Jeremy, Ayelet, Michael L, Ann, Daniel L, Kent, Sue, Allan, Ann E, Jim, Marcia, Matty, Vladimir, Kitty, Muriel, Marc, and Tricia
  • Recipe Rating: B+


I typically like this kind of cucumber yogurt sauce very much, so I chose it to make for our big holiday party last night. It was pretty good. Cucumber and yogurt make a very refreshing combination. The texture was just right -- the thick yogurt made it substantial while the finely chopped cucumbers gave it a bit of chunkiness and crunch. My main complaint was that it was quite under-seasoned. Cold food has to be seasoned heavily in order to not taste dull, and this dish was definitely lacking on the seasoning. It contained many flavorful ingredients (garlic, dill, mint, white wine vinegar...) but it still tasted rather bland. More salt would have helped, and/or more of the flavorful ingredients themselves. As it was, I enjoyed it, but it tasted mainly like yogurt with some cucumbers mixed in. With more careful seasoning it could have been exceptional. When Matty took a bite of it, he said "We need some lamb." He had a point. Although tzatziki makes a perfectly good appetizer, served with pita toasts, I prefer it as a sandwich topping in a gyro, or as a sauce for a piece of meat. All in all though, this recipe wasn't bad.

This recipe isn't online.

One thing that I appreciate very much about friendships (or any type of relationship) is when the positive qualities of the people I spend time with start to rub off on me. Take, for instance, Matty. He feels strongly that food shouldn't be wasted. I have to admit, until meeting him I never really thought twice about throwing food away. I believe in food safety, and I also believe that it is a good habit to only eat when you are hungry. The combination of these two often resulted in leftover food, which, after 4 days, got thrown away. Obviously I would rather that food didn't end up in the trash, but it didn't really bother me much when it did. Now, all that has changed. In time I have come around to Matty's opposition to wastefulness. I make a point of always eating my leftovers (or freezing them) before they rot. I try to be aware, when grocery shopping, of just how much I can realistically eat before it spoils, etc...

Last night, after our holiday party, we carefully packaged all the leftovers. There was a ton of good food left. We could easily eat for days off the leftovers alone. Sadly though, we are leaving for the holidays tomorrow. So we froze as much as we could, and now we are left with just those things that wouldn't freeze well. We ate nothing but leftovers today (Brunch: pita toasts, roasted red pepper dip, and walnut spice cake. Afternoon snack: chicken wings, pita toasts, and tzatziki. Dinner: more chicken wings, pita toasts, parmesan walnut salad, and pecan praline). The fridge is still full though, and we only have half of tomorrow to finish eating the leftovers. So, unfortunately, some things will get thrown away. This bothers me, but at least I know we did our best to eat as much of it as we could before we left!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I still remember the bacon!

Anonymous said...

try lemon juice, I tell ya!

Teena said...

Enough about the bacon! You make a mistake once and you never live it down...

Teena said...

Lemon juice definitely would have helped!