Sunday, December 30, 2007

Herbed Buttermilk Dressing (Page 173)

  • Date: Thursday, December 27, 2007 -- 7pm
  • Location: Westerville, OH
  • Kitchen: Karen and Dave's House
  • Dining Companions: Matty, Karen H, Dave, Deniz, Brad, Jinx, Eddie, Michael S, Phil, and Kayla
  • Recipe Rating: B+


Matty and I made a big family dinner on Thursday. We served this salad dressing with a simple green salad (romaine, carrots, peppers, tomatoes...). It was quite good. It had a nice flavor -- the buttermilk gave it a tang, and the fresh chives gave it an herby freshness. It was a lovely complement to a simple salad. My only complaint is that the texture of the dressing was extremely thin. It just dripped off the lettuce. I prefer a thicker consistency in a dressing of this type. If I made it again, I would add a little sour cream to thicken it up.

This recipe isn't online.

We finally finished watching all of the Season 3 episodes of Beverly Hills 90210. That was the season where they graduated from high school, so the last few episodes were all more or less focused on graduation and college decisions. We also saw the prom episode. My high school experience was (thankfully!) completely different from that on 90210, but it still brought back memories.

We had a junior/senior prom at my high school. I was never really big on high school dances, but prom seemed like an important one. So, my junior year my then-boyfriend and I went. I don't remember much about it, except that I dropped mashed potatoes down my dress during dinner, and I got really upset with my date at the dance. So upset, in fact, that I dumped him during prom. I no longer remember why, but I do remember crying during the song Baby Got Back. My senior year, I decided not to go. And I had a brilliant excuse -- I was supposed to be out of state anyway for a math competition. My boyfriend though (a different one) would have none of that. So in protest, I skipped my math weekend and went to the dance. It was, as I recall, not fun at all. But afterwards a few of us went over to my friend Steve's house and we played Super Mario Kart all night. That was much more fun. I liked high school just fine, but I can definitely say that I do not miss high school dances...

If we are having a 10 year high school reunion it would be this coming year. To go, or not to go...

4 comments:

Melanie said...

This is pretty funny...we spent senior prom together and I recall it as a really great night. I do have to admit though, all night Mario Kart was the best part. :-)

Teena said...

That is funny! Well at least we agree about the Mario Kart!

Deniz said...

I don't know if you go back to old postings, but I have to tell you to go to your reunion! I highly recommend it. I went to my 10 year in October, and I reconnected with 2 friends. We followed through on our "no, really, call me/email me" commitments. We've hung out several times since the reunion, and I remembered why we were friends in the first place! Maybe you're still in touch with a lot of your high school friends, so that would not apply, but, still, it would be fun to go.

Teena said...

Deniz, you are probably right. There are definitely people that I liked in high school who I have lost touch with. It would be nice to see them again and catch up, especially now that I am living back in the midwest!