Monday, December 31, 2007

Prosciutto-and-Parmesan-Stuffed Mushrooms (Page 27)

  • Date: Thursday, December 27, 2007 -- 7pm
  • Location: Westerville, OH
  • Kitchen: Karen and Dave's House
  • Fellow Chef: Matty
  • Dining Companions: Karen H, Dave, Deniz, Brad, Jinx, Eddie, Michael S, Phil, and Kayla
  • Recipe Rating: A


I have realized that when cooking with Matty I should make fussy hors d'oeuvres because he doesn't mind repetitive kitchen work. Since he loves mushrooms, I chose this recipe to make for dinner with his family. It was excellent. The idea was very simple: mushroom caps stuffed with a mixture of parmesan, proscuitto, cooked mushrooms, onions, and bread crumbs. This recipe was much more than the sum of its parts though. The prosciutto and bread crumbs crisped a bit in the oven giving it wonderful textural contrast, and the flavors of the cheese and ham complemented each other beautifully. I was nervous that some people wouldn't like this, as mushrooms aren't a universally loved food -- but this hors d'oeuvre ended up being adored by everyone. Even Matty's cousin Kayla, who is picky and hates mushrooms, ate two of these! It was simple to throw together, and delicious! I highly recommend this appetizer.

Unfortunately this recipe isn't online.

For the first time in a while I am behind in my blogging! I have made another 7 recipes that I haven't blogged about yet. It has been great these last few weeks to cook for a bunch of different people. In Bloomington I end up mainly cooking for myself (or myself and Matty). I have been making an effort to cook for more people there, but because I am always so busy with teaching and research, I often end up just having time to throw something together for myself. These last couple weeks though I have been surrounded by friends and family, and to make the most of my family time I have been doing lots and lots of cooking! It has been great to make big meals for big groups of people. I enjoy that kind of cooking very much!

No comments: