Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Thai Green Curry Paste (Page 934)

RECIPE #1075

  • Date: Monday, December 28, 2009 -- 7pm
  • Location: Westerville, OH
  • Kitchen: Karen and Dave's House
  • Dining Companions: Matty, Deniz. Brad, Karen H, and Dave
  • Recipe Rating: B+

This curry paste was a component for a curry dish (that I will blog about next) that I made when we were visiting my special gentleman's family last week. I started by toasting cumin and coriander seeds in a skillet. I then ground them in a spice grinder. In a food processor I combined a serrano chile, lemongrass, garlic, shallots, fresh ginger, and salt. Then I added the ground seeds, some cilantro, Asian shrimp paste, and lime juice and blended. This is the sort of thing that is very difficult to grade. The way to judge a curry paste is by whether it produces a good curry dish. I didn't particularly like the dish that this went into, but the flavor issue in that dish was more that there wasn't enough curry paste in it rather than any particular problem with the paste itself. The curry paste seemed to have a good green curry flavor to it. I thought it was a little cilantro heavy but other than that it seemed well balanced. It would be nice to try this curry paste in a dish other than the one I made with it and see if it could produce better results.

This recipe isn't online.

I am tremendously prone to nightmares. I have bad dreams (scary or just stressful) most nights. I have since I was a little kid. I also remember my dreams very vividly. I have nightmares anytime I sleep in any position other than on my stomach. So, for instance, I have bad dreams when I sleep sitting up in the car (but I love to sleep in the car!). And hotel beds always cause me to toss and turn a bit in the night, often resulting in me sleeping on my back and having nightmares. We have been traveling this week (hence hotel beds and naps in the car) and I have had a whole slew of crazy dreams. Last night I dreamt that while hiking on a steep trail at the Grand Canyon I slipped on some ice, fell on my butt, slid down the trail and over the edge. This was not good. Today we did hike at the Grand Canyon (which was awesome!) and the trail was indeed steep, and covered in packed snow and ice. But I was very careful to make sure that my dream didn't become a reality. Actually I learned long ago that my dreams are not predictive. I often have dreams about the people I love the most dying and I used to worry that it meant that something bad was about to happen to them. Years of experience have taught me though: I have no psychic powers. My dreams never come true -- thank goodness! Knowing this also makes the nightmares less bothersome. When I was young the dreams really bothered me, mostly because to some extent I thought they could come true. Now that I know they have no correlation with reality they rarely trouble me at all.

I have had a much less scary, but still stressful, dream a few times this week. In the dream it is the first day of the semester and I find out I am teaching a lecture class with 350 students and the first class is in 30 minutes. That in and of itself would be overwhelming enough, but the class I am teaching is not, say, business calculus (which I could pull off at the last minute) but rather French 1. I took a few years of high school French many years ago but I am far, far, far from qualified to teach French to college students. Needless to say, the class goes badly. The funny thing is that there are all these random familiar people in the class: friends I haven't seen since high school, professors from MIT, the cast of Glee... The students yell. They throw things. They sing show tunes. In the dream I am very upset but when I wake up I can't help but laugh at how ridiculous it is!

Well, we had an exhausting day today of hiking and then driving, so I am off to bed. Hopefully I will have pleasant dreams! Goodnight from Kingman, Arizona!

No comments: