Friday, January 08, 2010

Linguine with Shrimp and Scallops in Thai Green Curry Sauce (Page 244)

RECIPE #1076

  • Date: Monday, December 28, 2009 -- 7pm
  • Location: Westerville, OH
  • Kitchen: Karen and Dave's House
  • Dining Companions: Matty, Deniz, Brad, Karen H, and Dave
  • Recipe Rating: B-

Of the 215 or so recipes I have left to make from The Book I would venture that at least 60 of them contain seafood. Finding good seafood in Southern Indiana has been a problem, and since there are many other things I like better than seafood, I haven't made much of an effort. But now the end of the project is rapidly approaching and I need to make some seafood dishes so that at the end I am not eating fish for every meal. So I made this dish last week for my special gentleman's family. I cooked a sliced red chile and some scallions in oil until browned. I then set them aside. I patted scallops and shrimp dry then seasoned them with salt. I seared the scallops in a bit of oil, then cooked the shrimp in the same oil. I removed the shrimp and scallops from the skillet then added coconut milk, green curry paste (see post below), chicken stock, brown sugar, fish sauce, and lime juice to the skillet. I simmered the mixture for a few minutes. Meanwhile I cooked some linguine. I added the shrimp and scallops to the sauce and simmered until the seafood was cooked through. I added the linguine to the sauce and tossed, then topped with the seafood, the chile-scallion mixture, and some scallion greens. I thought the same thing while eating this dish that I thought when I read the recipe: "Linguine? Really?" This dish is cleary meant to be Asian-inspired and the linguine just didn't fit. I can see using linguine if you are trying to come up with a recipe for which the ingredients can be found at even the most basic market. But any grocery store that sells fish sauce is also going to sell some type of Asian noodle. So the linguine was a mystery. My other complaint about this dish was that it didn't have enough flavor to it. It could have easily supported twice as much curry paste as it called for, and that would have made a more flavorful, more interesting dish. As it was, the most predominant flavor by far was that of the coconut milk. Of course that wasn't a bad flavor, but with all the ingredients that went into the green curry paste, I had hoped to taste those flavors more. On the upside, the seafood was nicely cooked and the chile-scallion mixture was super tasty. I wouldn't make this recipe again, but it was perfectly fine for a casual dinner.

The recipe is here.

After a long drive (which didn't actually feel very long) we have arrived in California! We are staying with my brother and his girlfriend in Los Angeles for a few days before heading up to Berkeley on Sunday. The weather in LA right now is amazing. It seems that winter in LA feels a lot like summer in Michigan. The weather is so nice in fact that it motivated me to go running. True confession: I haven't run since the marathon, over two months ago. I ran so many miles every week for so many weeks and then I just stopped. In November my excuse was that I was "recovering," from the marathon (although to be perfectly honest my body felt completely fine -- I just didn't feel like running). Since then my excuse has been the weather -- too cold to run. But this morning in Los Angeles it was warm and sunny, so I had no excuse. And I ran. We went to the Rose Bowl to run, and it was quite nice. I ran 3 miles. It was a bit of a struggle at the beginning, but at the end I was startled by the fact that I was done so soon. After running such long distances, running 3 miles feels a bit like walking around the block. It was good to put on my running shoes again though, and now that I have gotten out there once I hope to get back into the habit of running regularly.

Our time in Los Angeles so far has presented exactly what one would expect: excellent weather, excellent company, and excellent food!

No comments: