Thursday, January 28, 2010

Panfried Red Snapper with Chiptole Butter (Page 286)

RECIPE #1089

  • Date: Friday, January 22, 2010 -- 7pm
  • Location: Berkeley, CA
  • Kitchen: Our Temporary California Home!
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B

This recipe was part of my All Fish All The Time plan. I started by mashing together butter, chopped canned chipotle chiles in adobo, adobo sauce, and salt. Then I seasoned and halved some snapper fillets then dredged them in flour. I cooked the fillets in hot oil, turning once. When they were cooked through I topped them with the chipotle butter and served them with lime wedges. It was as simple as that! Start to Finish time: 15 minutes! Awesome! This dish was pretty good. The chipotle butter had a nice flavor to it. This recipe didn't have a lot going on -- it was just fish and chipotle chiles. The chipotle butter melted over the hot fish, creating a nice sauce. The dish tasted very fresh, with clean, simple flavors. I thought the dish was a little too simple -- right on the edge of boring -- but my special gentleman disagreed. I ate one serving and he happily ate the other three! He liked the dish quite a bit.

The recipe is here.

My husband and I have more or less lived apart for the last two and a half years. For a while he lived in Boston and I lived in Indiana. Recently he lived in Michigan and I lived in Indiana. and now he lives in Berkeley and I live in Indiana. I have to admit, this week I am struggling. All last semester we spent most of every week apart, and it was easy. Now, I have been home by myself for four days and I feel really down. I think there is something psychologically very different about a California-Indiana separation than a Michigan-Indiana one. In the fall I had the reassurance that if one of us had some sort of emergency the other person could be there in less than 5 hours. Granted, no one needed to make an emergency trip, but we could have. There is no way to get from Bloomington to California in 5 hours though and all trips are limited by the whims of the airlines. Somehow being off by three time zones is also distancing. When I am getting ready for bed my husband is heading out for the evening. And when I wake up in the morning, it is the middle of the night for him. I love being in Bloomington, but right now I am really hating the distance. My special gentleman and I spent over 2 months together this winter, and now I am readjusting to the realities of living apart.

2 comments:

ana rita said...

I totally agree with you. Ever since I moved to the US, I have this theory that distance from loved ones is measured in a combination of 3 factors:
- number of hours of time zone difference;
- number of hours of actual travel from one place to the other;
- how much is would cost (and how long it would take to arrange + actually get there) to go in case of an emergency.

Teena said...

I think your three factors are exactly right!