Monday, January 11, 2010

Chestnut Ravioli with Sage Brown Butter (Page 69)

RECIPE #1078

  • Date: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 -- 7pm
  • Location: Westerville, OH
  • Kitchen: Dave and Karen's House
  • Fellow Chef: Matty
  • Dining Companions: Deniz, Brad, Karen H and Dave
  • Recipe Rating: A-

My special gentleman and I made this dish as part of a dinner for his family a couple weeks ago. He started by cooking chopped pancetta in butter, then adding chopped onion and a smashed clove of garlic and cooking some more. He added chopped bottled chestnuts and water, and cooked for a few more minutes. We then transferred the mixture to a bowl (discarding the garlic clove) and mashed the chestnuts with a fork. I stirred in some chopped, peeled Granny Smith apple, some Parmesan, parsley, salt, and pepper. We then formed ravioli with the chestnut mixture as the filling and wonton wrappers as the pasta. We cooked the ravioli in boiling salted water until tender. Meanwhile, I cooked chopped sage in butter until the sage was crisp and the butter was browned. I seasoned the sauce with salt and pepper. I transferred the ravioli to the sage brown butter sauce and tossed, then topped the dish with diced apple and sprinkled with ground pepper. This dish was wonderful! This was a dish that not only tasted great, but was also very unique. I would never have thought to make chestnut apple ravioli, but it totally worked. The filling had an awesome flavor and the apple provided a nice crunch which contrasted the pastey texture of the mashed chestnuts. The filling was a touch too dry, but this small flaw was easily overlooked because it tasted so good! In general I don't love using wonton wrappers instead of fresh pasta for ravioli, but in this recipe it worked quite well. The sauce for the ravioli was also delicious -- I love browned butter, and the fried sage was a lovely addition. Topping the dish off with diced apples brought it all together. Filling ravioli is a bit labor-intensive, but in this recipe it was more than worth it -- definitely a keeper!

The recipe is here.

After traveling for three weeks, today I felt like doing nothing but sitting in the house, working, and eating healthy food. We are settling into the house in Berkeley where my special gentleman will be living for the next five months (and where I will be living when I am not in Indiana). There are tons of people in the area I want to see, and dozens of places I would like to go, but today I just felt like staying in and getting some work done. Even more than that I felt like eating some real food. My special gentleman and I eat reasonably healthy foods when we are at home, but on the road it is tough. We ate Taco Bell more times than I would care to admit in the last week. And when we weren't eating Taco Bell we were taking advantage of the local fare: barbeque in Texas, taco trucks in Los Angeles, etc... It was all quite delicious, but by last night I was seriously craving some healthier food. I have a saturation point for restaurant food, after which I just start to feel gross. So today I had muesli and cottage cheese for lunch and I made a dinner of red snapper and broccoli. It was exactly what I needed! I am looking forward to taking advantage of some of the great restaurants in the Bay Area, but for now I am more than content to eat some simple foods at the house!

No comments: