Sunday, January 03, 2010

Spaghetti alla Carbonara (Page 221)

RECIPE #1072

  • Date: Friday, December 18, 2009 -- 7pm
  • Location: East Lansing, MI
  • Kitchen: Our New House!
  • Dining Companions: Matty and Phil O.
  • Recipe Rating: B+

I made this for dinner one night when Phil came to visit a few weeks ago. I started by cooking pancetta until it rendered its fat, then I added chopped onion and cooked until golden. I added white wine and reduced. Meanwhile, I cooked spaghetti in boiling water. I drained the spaghetti, added it to the onions and tossed. Then I added eggs, Parmesan, pecorino Romano, salt, and pepper, and tossed to combine. This dish was easy and pretty good. It had the flavors of a classic carbonara, which are of course delicious. It had a creaminess to it which was surprising as there was no cream. My only real complaint was that it was a bit dry. Otherwise this dish was satisfying, and one that I would make again for a casual weeknight dinner.

The recipe is here.

Hello from Lebanon, Missouri! My special gentleman and I are well on our way to California. When we headed out from his parents' house in Westerville, Ohio this morning, the temperature was 6 degrees Fahrenheit. Brrr! So rather than set a mileage goal for the day, I set the goal of driving until we got somewhere where the temperature was above freezing. We drove southwest all day so I figured the temperatures would rise quickly. Unfortunately, 500 miles later the highest temperature we had seen was 19 degrees. At least up to that point we had beautiful clear weather. After we had driven about 550 miles the weather took a nasty turn, and we ended up in the Ozarks in Missouri with terrible road conditions. There was black ice on the road and blowing snow. And mysteriously enough the cars that had spun into the ditch and the many electronic billboards telling people that the roads were terrible didn't convince people to slow down. I was crawling along at 40mph, but people were flying by me. It was terrifying. I would have been happy to pull over as soon as the roads got bad and stop for the night, but unfortunately we weren't in a very populated area so we needed to drive about another 30 miles to get to the nearest hotel.

After that white knuckle driving experience we pulled off in Lebanon and found a hotel. Then we walked to the Waffle House for dinner. I admit, I had never been to the Waffle House before. The first thing I saw when I walked in was the waitress, sitting at the counter, smoking. Haha! Ah, Missouri.

In the morning we will hit the road again, and we hope to make it at least another 600 miles tomorrow. I have my fingers crossed that the roads will be better and that we will be able to reach a place where the temperature is at least 32!

No comments: