Monday, September 21, 2009

Apple Butter (Page 916)

RECIPE #1027

  • Date: Saturday, September 12, 2009 -- 2pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: A-

Since I was already digging out my canning supplies and sterilizing jars to make the plum butter last weekend, I figured I would go ahead and make this apple butter too! I started by sterilizing jars and lids in my boiling water canner. Then I combined wedges of peeled, cored, apples, apple cider, lemon juice, dark brown sugar, cinnamon, and allspice in a pot. I boiled until the apples were tender, then I put the mixture through a food mill (read post below to hear how I felt about that!). I put the puree back on the stove, and simmered, stirring frequently, for about an hour and a half. Then I ladled the apple butter into the sterilized jars, sealed them, and processed them in the boiling water canner. Ok, that's not actually true. Although this recipe claimed to make 4 cups, it really made only slightly more than 1 cup. That meant I had only one full jar of apple butter. So I did not process the jars but rather just the jar of apple butter. It was a shame too because this apple butter was tasty! I would have liked to have four jars of it around rather than just a smidgeon more than one jar. But I knew this would happen when I read the recipe. The recipe only called for four apples. Anyone who has ever canned fruit will tell you that one apple is not going to make enough preserves to fill a half-pint jar. So there was no way those four apples were going to fill four jars. That issue aside, this recipe was great! The apple butter had a wonderful fall flavor to it: apples and cinnamon! It wasn't too sweet, but rather had a lovely sweet-tart balance. The texture wasn't quite as smooth as that of the plum butter (see post below), but it was still very nice. Overall, a solid recipe -- I only wish it had made more!

This recipe isn't online.

Yesterday after my 18-mile run, I napped for a couple hours. It was the middle of the afternoon, and the sun was barely peaking through an otherwise overcast day. I was laying in bed, mostly asleep, while my special gentleman sat in bed next to me watching a B movie about aliens. It was absolutely perfect. I love to sleep. I find it to be a great joy. In particular I love to nap. I rarely do it though, as I rarely feel justified sleeping in the middle of the day. Sometimes I sleep for 15 minutes in my office in the late afternoon, when I am desperate for a pick-me-up, but usually I only take long naps when I am sick. It's a shame -- napping is wonderful. There is something so luxurious about sleeping in the middle of the day, with the sun streaming in the windows. Luckily after a more-than-three-hour run I feel justified getting some sleep. My Sunday afternoon post-run nap has become a weekly tradition that I very much look forward to!

Today, unfortunately, was not the type of day that involved a relaxing mid-afternoon nap in bed. Rather, it involved exam writing, and talking to students about academic misconducts, amongst other things. Ugh. It was exhausting day. In fact, I feel like going to bed at this not-so-late hour of 9:30pm!

1 comment:

123 123 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.