Thursday, September 10, 2009

Shredded Pork and Lemon Coleslaw Sandwiches (Page 192)

RECIPE #1021

  • Date: Monday, August 31, 2009 -- 8pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B


New love often blossoms out of common interests. Since my husband and I are both mathematicians, one might guess that math was the common interest that our romance blossomed out of. True, we met through our jobs. But I think the common interest that really brought us together was our love of food. We lived in the same neighborhood in Cambridge/Somerville, Massachusetts, and many of our early dates involved exploring the restaurants in the neighborhood together. We quickly developed some favorites, and many of our later dates in Massachusetts involved going to our favorite neighborhood restaurants over and over again. When we had the, "Where should we go to dinner?" conversation, my vote was almost always for East Coast Grill, an awesome restaurant with a national reputation, which happened to be down the block from where we lived. Most people who have eaten there would describe it as a seafood place -- not me. I would describe it as a place where you can get an absolutely amazing plate of pulled pork, cornbread, coleslaw, baked beans, and watermelon. Oh my gosh is it good. It's so good that it has almost ruined all other pulled pork for me.

So, last week I made this recipe, and at the first bite I thought, "This isn't nearly as good as East Coast Grill." And that pretty much summarizes how I felt about the recipe. It wasn't bad. Pulled pork is delicious. But the sauce didn't have a slow-cooked depth to it (probably because it wasn't particularly slowly cooked), and the pork wasn't melt in your mouth tender. On the up side, it was fast and simple to make. I cooked some onion and garlic in oil, added cider vinegar, ketchup, chili sauce, Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco, water, salt, and pepper then cooked for ten minutes. Then I added a pork tenderloin and cooked until tender. I took the pork out, shredded it, and pureed the cooking liquid. I returned the pork to the sauce and served it on hamburger buns, topped with lemon coleslaw (see post below). As I ate it, sauce dripped down to my elbows and I was pretty happy. But at the same time I was wishing that I still lived down the street from the most awesome plate of pulled pork I have ever enjoyed. That's how I felt about this one.

The recipe in The Book is the same as this one, except that the one in The Book calls for these sandwiches to be served on hamburger buns, whereas the one online calls for them to be served as wraps.

Three years ago this week my special gentleman and I went on our very first date. We ate Korean barbecue in Cambridge, MA, then sat on the porch at his place eating ice cream. It was perfect.

One year ago this week my special gentleman proposed during my business calculus lecture, in front of my 80 students. Afterward we had a very celebratory dinner at the wonderful restaurant in Bloomington, Indiana where we later had our wedding.

Tomorrow we will be dining there once again. And once again it will be in celebration. We will be celebrating not only three wonderful years together, but also the fact that we are buying a house! We don't close for another couple weeks, but we signed our names at the bottom of a purchase agreement yesterday! And we are so very excited!

What an exciting few years we have had, with so much to celebrate: our engagement, our marriage, new jobs, a new house (!)... We are very, very lucky. And luckier still that we have had the opportunity to toast all of these blessings over some delicious meals!

1 comment:

Emilee said...

And there is no one more deserving of good fortune! Hooray!