Thursday, September 17, 2009

Shrimp Dumplings with Dipping Sauce (Page 59)

RECIPE #1024

  • Date: Sunday, September 13, 2009 -- 6pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B

This recipe was on the list generated by the random number generator. I started by pureeing some shrimp in the food processor, then finely chopping the remaining shrimp. I combined the shrimp with chopped water chestnuts, egg white, scallion greens, ginger and soy sauce. I used wonton wrappers to form dumplings, filled with the shrimp mixture. I pan fried these dumpings to brown them, then added some boiling water and steamed the dumplings until the filling was cooked. I served them with a dipping sauce of soy sauce, sugar, ginger, and scallion greens. These dumplings were pretty good. I prefer some pork in my dumplings, rather than just shrimp, but the filling still had a good flavor. My special gentleman complained that there was too much water chestnut and I think he was right about that. The dipping sauce was nice, and added a necessary punch of saltiness to the dish. These dumplings were very simple to make, and for such simple dumplings they weren't bad.

The recipe is here.

Two weeks ago this evening I was driving up to Michigan to visit my husband. Little did I know that the next day we would go through two houses with our realtor (we had probably seen 25 or 30 already!) and decide to make an offer on a house. One week from this evening I will be again driving up to Michigan. And one week from tomorrow, my husband and I will be home owners! It has been a crazy few weeks! After we made our offer, the sellers countered our offer. We countered their counter to our offer. They countered our counter to their counter to our offer. We countered their counter to our counter to their counter to our offer. And they accepted! So after much back and forth, we had a purchase agreement. Since then I feel like every waking moment that has not been spent on teaching or research has been spent either on the phone (with our realtor, or our mortgage guy, or the inspectors, or the insurance agent, or....) or at a fax machine! Man, there is a lot of paperwork and logistics involved in buying a house! I have actually been on my phone so much that it broke! (Addition to my to-do list: But new phone). But it looks like we are in the home stretch. Our closing date is set. I think (hope!) that I have done everything I need to do until we close.

I just can't wrap my head around the fact that we are actually going to own a home. We have moved around so, so much. The idea of settling into a space that is really our own is incredibly exciting. Plus, I love our new house. It's completely lovely. So, keep your fingers crossed that the next week goes smoothly for us!

2 comments:

Ali said...

Hi Teena -
Congrats on the house and best wishes on the closing going smoothly!!
I don't know if you've noticed increased site traffic recently, but it's me - I've been reading the archives of your blog as a way to procrastinate (which I've been doing a lot of!) from fellowship writing - I just defended last month and I'll be moving to UCSF for a post doc in Dec.
I really enjoy reading your blog, and I'm so happy that things are going well for you and Matt in Indiana and soon in Michigan!
Be well!
Ali from book club :)

Teena said...

Hi Ali!
Congratulations on defending and on the post doc at UCSF. That's awesome! San Francisco is such a wonderful place to live -- I'm jealous! I'm so glad to hear that things are going great for you!

Teena