Saturday, September 05, 2009

Mock Mandarin Pancakes (Page 490)

RECIPE #1018

  • Date: Saturday, August 29, 2009 -- 8pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B

This was a component recipe for a Mu Shu dish that I made last week. This recipe was super simple. We took flour tortillas, brushed them with sesame oil, and heated them in the oven, wrapped in foil. The net result was perfectly fine, although I am not going to lie -- real mu shu pancakes would have been better. Flour tortillas are a decent substitute, but they are much thicker and different in flavor than the traditional wraps for mu shu. For dinner at home I was happy enough with this substitution, but for the real mu shu experience the traditional pancakes are a must.

The recipe is here.

It has been a crazy few days! On Thursday I taught my classes then drove up to Michigan where my husband lives. It's about a five hour drive, and since I teach until 5:15pm I didn't get on the road until about 6pm. The drive was easy enough, though, and I was there by 11pm. Yesterday we worked most of the day, and then did some house-hunting in the afternoon. We saw a couple houses we liked a lot, including a second visit to a house we had seen a few weeks ago. The second visit convinced us that we should make an offer on it -- and we did! So at 8pm on a Friday night we were sitting in our realtor's office, writing an offer on a house. Now we are just waiting -- supposedly we should hear something by tomorrow night! It's very exciting!!

Today we started the day by meeting our friends Corbett and Mary (and their adorable baby Allison!) at a county park. They also just moved to East Lansing, so we thought we would explore a bit of what the area has to offer together. It was a beautiful day -- we hung out for a few hours at the park and then my special gentleman and I headed over to the Michigan State Football game. I love college football, and we had a great time eating hot dogs and cheering our team on to victory. After a long day in the sun, I took a very relaxing nap and then we ate tons of Mexican food! It was a lovely day.

I am not so excited about tomorrow, since it will be my first attempt at a 20 mile run, and I have a feeling it is going to be brutal. Hopefully, though, tomorrow will also include good news about the house! I've got my fingers crossed!

2 comments:

mike hill said...

Wait, I'm confused. What happened to offer #2?

Teena said...

We withdrew it. Offer #2 was a long, long shot, and since it was another short sale it looked like it was going to take a long time and probably not work out. The house we put offer #3 on is more our style anyway!