Monday, September 07, 2009

Lemon Coleslaw (Page 193)

RECIPE #1020

  • Date: Monday, August 31, 2009 -- 8pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B


This coleslaw is a component recipe for some pork sandwiches I made last week. I started by making the dressing: whisking together sour cream, mayo, lemon zest, lemon juice, water, sugar, salt, and pepper. Then I added thinly sliced cabbage, grated carrots, sliced scallions, and chopped parsley. I tossed this all together and let it chill for one hour before serving it on the pork sandwiches. I wasn't a huge fan of this coleslaw. The lemon was refreshing, but the dressing was too watery. I also didn't find it rich enough for a coleslaw dressing. With only 2 tablespoons of sour cream and 2 teaspoons of mayo, it didn't have the creaminess one typically thinks of in coleslaw dressing. I would have preferred it had the dressing had less water and more mayo. My main complaint though was that the flavor of the coleslaw was overpowered by the scallions. One cup of sliced scallions is quite a lot -- the scallion flavor was certainly dominant and I didn't care for that. My special gentleman thought the parsley flavor was also too strong. Typically you want to bring out the flavors of cabbage and carrot when you make a coleslaw, but that was definitely not the case in this recipe. All that said, this slaw was perfectly fine served on the pork sandwiches. But eaten alone it left something to be desired.

The recipe is here.

I am feeling, at this moment, a little overwhelmed. Normally my life has a nice balance to it: research, teaching, running, cooking, hanging out with my special gentleman and other friends. It all seems to fit together just fine, and since I love both my job and my hobbies (and of course my husband and my friends!), I am generally quite happy. The last few weeks, though, my balance has been a little disrupted. Typically I have about 130 students per semester -- this semester I have 330. So teaching is taking more time than usual. And training for a marathon is definitely more intense than my usual running schedule. A 20 mile run takes up a good chunk of time -- add the recovery time and it can eat up half a day! Of course I am also commuting to Michigan every other weekend, where my special gentleman is getting settled. Meanwhile I am still unpacking in my new apartment in Indiana. And we are buying our first house. So basically things are a little crazy. I am going to bed early and getting up early these days -- trying to jam as much productivity as I can into each day. But it's not entirely successful. There are dishes in the sink, and wedding thank-yous that still desperately need to be written. I will be happy when I can check a few things off my list. Hopefully we will soon own a house. In a couple months the marathon will be over. And once I get settled into the rhythm of the semester the teaching will be more manageable. In the meantime, I will attempt to keep my head above water!

No comments: