Thursday, March 22, 2007

Hot Red Pepper Relish (Page 902)

  • Date: Sunday, March 18, 2007 -- 4pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: Matty's Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B


I picked this recipe because it was quick and keeps for a long time. This relish is ok. I can imagine there are probably a lot of good foods to eat it with, but since I had none of them, I tried it on a tortilla chip, which I wouldn't recommend. I think it will make a good sandwich topping though... The flavor is a bit too dominated by the cider vinegar. The net result is extremely acidic and vinegary. The level of spice is good though, and the red bell peppers give it a nice sweetness. I am not overly excited about this one, but I am looking forward to trying it on a nice turkey sandwich!

It is the last few days before spring break, which have a unique feel to them. I have always loved the period leading up to a school vacation. Everyone is a little punchy, a little squirmy, and a little less inhibited than usual. It's nice to see that. People seem so happy. In elementary school we would always have half-days before break and those days were pretty much one long party! We would eat candy and watch movies. Why we went to school at all on those days was a mystery to me, but I loved it nonetheless. In these last few days before break I am trying to remain slightly more focused than that (I am eating candy, but not watching movies at the office!).

I actually keep forgetting that next week is break since I (along with many of my friends in the department) am going to the Talbot workshop next week. Talbot is many wonderful things, but restful isn't one of them -- I don't think it will feel too much like a spring vacation! Talbot ends next Saturday, and I defend my thesis that Monday, so I am trying to finish up a lot of things before I leave this weekend! Luckily there are almost six weeks between my defense and when a final draft of my thesis needs to be submitted!

No comments: