Sunday, March 18, 2007

Vanilla-Brown Sugar Syrup (Page 646)

  • Date: Saturday, March 17, 2007 -- 11am
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: Matt's Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: F


I picked this recipe to go with breakfast on Saturday because it was super-simple and Matt had all the ingredients in his pantry. This syrup was FOUL though. It still mystifies me how you can combine brown sugar, water, butter, lemon juice, and vanilla and end up with something so deeply, truly, terrible. I couldn't immediately identify the familiar flavor that this stuff had, but Matt hit it right on the head: Pepsi. It tasted like ultra-strong, slightly rotten Pepsi. I like Pepsi fine, but I don't particularly want to eat super-condensed Pepsi syrup. Matt posed the reasonable question: how did this recipe make it in to The Book? After tasting it I reread the recipe again to verify that I measured all the ingredients correctly, and followed every step. But basically the recipe was: combine some stuff, boil, add some more stuff. Which I did. So I can offer you no explanation. And although I usually try to make some suggested improvements, in this case my recommendation is simply: DON'T MAKE IT! Ick. Ick, Ick, Ick.

Paul flew in this weekend to see the Boston Symphony Orchestra perform Mahler's Third Symphony, so last night I took a break from my work and went to the concert with him. Aside from the music being quite good, it just felt great to be out. I put on a dress. We went to dinner. I felt like a real person again.

It was fleeting though. Today I am back in my pajamas, working. I am almost done though, and that feels really good. After my defense I will do plenty of editing and formatting I am sure, but the bulk of the work is very nearly done. Just a couple more days of writing...

One of my friends said to me this weekend: "Teena I think I am looking forward to you finishing your thesis even more than you are. You're not really very fun any more." It's hard to blame him for that comment, since really it's true! I promise to be fun again sometime in the very near future!!!

1 comment:

constantinos said...

I have a feeling that you can´t successfully make syrup with brown sugar as you would white table sugar. It´s because, maybe, white sugar contains just refined sugar, and nothing else whereas brown sugar contains more than just sugar molecules. These other properties, when heated for 15 minutes or so, give off a lot of burnt pepsi-like flavourings. If you wanna use brown sugar, then I suggest you use less water and heat it for less time. Less water will give you the thickness you want whilst not requiring you to heat it for 15 mins.