Friday, March 02, 2007

Mushroom Barley Soup (Page 113)

  • Date: Monday, February 19, 2007 -- 8pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: Matty's Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: A-
I picked this recipe to make a couple weekends ago because it sounded like the sort of thing that would freeze well and make good lunches for a while. Truth be told, I don't usually like mushroom soup too much. This recipe was really good though! Matt pointed out that it was food that you could feel good about eating -- very hearty and healthy. My usual complaint about mushroom soup is that it often tastes like dirt. This soup had a bit of that mushroom dirt flavor, but the sherry and the nuttiness of the barley offset it nicely. For a soup without meat, it also had an unusually good depth of flavor. Overall, it was a strong recipe that I would recommend.

Shocking moment of the day:

The scene: Walgreens. 9am this morning. I purchase various items (candy, shampoo, face wash, etc...). I pay for my items. I request cash back. The guy behind the counter (old, and clearly a little bit crotchedy) says to me as he hands me my $60: "You know, it's a good thing the men keep depositing money, because their women keep withdrawing it."

Huh.

I could have told him it was my money. I could have pointed out that I have never been in a relationship where a man gave me money. I could have gotten angry. Or offended. Or upset about the sad state that his comment reflects.

Instead I laughed at him. (Honestly, how could you not laugh at that?) Sexism isn't funny -- I understand that it is a serious issue. And when people are overtly sexist to me, I feel strangely obligated to be offended. But the truth is, I just find it funny.

My favorite such moment ever: At the first math conference I went to without anyone I knew (Algebraic K-theory 2004) a professor (or post-doc?) I had never met before asked me where I study. I said "At MIT." His response: "Are you sure?"

Admit it. It's funny.

No comments: