Friday, March 16, 2007

Irish Soda Bread (Page 601)

  • Date: Friday, March 16, 2007 -- 7pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: Matty's Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: C+


I picked this bread because it was extremely quick, and I am all about the recipes with the 15 minute active times these days. Despite it's easy preparation, I wouldn't recommend this recipe. The primary problem was the texture -- the bread was extremely dense and came out very dry. Smothered in the compound butter from last night it was tasty, but eaten without butter, the dryness made it unappealing. Matt pointed out that the caraway flavor was a bit strong for him, and I agree that I would have preferred a milder flavor. Another issue was that the raisins near the surface all got extremely burnt long before the bread was done baking, and thus had to be picked off of the finished loaf. Overall this bread was fine, but nothing spectacular. I found myself eating it simply because it was the only starchy thing on the table, not because I actually wanted to eat it.

Well, we had our first "snow emergency" of the winter today. Looking out the window, I'm not sure I would call this an "emergency," but there is snow on the ground and there are plows on the street. In fact, the plows are pretty much the only things on the street, so perhaps road conditions are worse than they look.

I spent the entire day working in bed. Strangely, sitting in bed is one of the most productive workspaces for me. I pretty rarely just lie down and go to sleep. I think I get easily distracted by things like being uncomfortable, or cold, or hungry, but when I am sitting in my pajamas, under a down comforter, with plenty of snacks on the side table, these things don't distract me. Normally I go to the office during the day anyway. Being at the office is generally more fun than being home alone all day. Plus, if I stay inside too long I start to go stir-crazy. With the nasty weather today though, I just didn't see the point in leaving home. The one down-side of my strategy is this: now that it's time to actually go to bed, I don't really feel like being in bed any more...

2 comments:

Mike Hill said...

Do you remember when they canceled school the day of V's quals because of a snow emergency? That was some blizzard.

Teena said...

I definitely remember that! I felt so bad for V having to reschedule his quals.