Saturday, March 31, 2007

Garam Masala (Page 932)

  • Date: Monday, March 26, 2007 -- 7pm
  • Location: North Conway, NH
  • Kitchen: The Talbot House
  • Dining Companions: Vero, Big Mike, Vigleik, Andrew, Chris, Andre, Jnkf, Ricky, Matt, and 14 other mathematicians!
  • Recipe Rating: A-


This spice mixture was necessary for a lamb dish I made for Talbot this past week. It's always difficult to figure out how to grade recipes like this. The lamb was very tasty, which I suppose means that the spice mixture was tasty too... It was simple to throw together, and I got to use my new spice grinder, which was a plus. That's about all I can say...

Well after a fun, and exhausting week, Talbot is over and I am back in Boston. I had a really great time, although I wish the timing could have been different. It was hard for me to relax as much as I would have liked to, given my impending thesis defense...

My defense is Monday, at 4:30pm. Less than 48 hours from now. I have obviously known for a long time that there would come a day when I would defend my PhD thesis. But now that it is practically here, it feels very strange. At Talbot this past week, people kept saying to me, "Just relax, it's not such a big deal." I think they're wrong though. It is a big deal. At least, it's a big deal to me.

It's true that the defense itself doesn't matter so much, and the outcome is more or less predetermined. But it represents something that was a huge effort. That means something. I'm not nervous exactly, but I have trouble treating Monday as just any other day.

It is a big deal to me. Is that such a bad thing?

2 comments:

ana rita said...

you defense is a big deal for me too, actually. a defense!

vero said...

I think your defense is only a big deal until it happens.

I remember handing in the thesis as much more of an event. Although that might be because I had a plane to catch the next day and the printers in the department were working, as usual, rather randomly.

I can't wait to celebrate with Dr Teena afterwards.