Monday, March 12, 2007

Pumpkin Cheesecake with Bourbon-Sour Cream Topping (Page 754)

  • Date: Friday, March 9, 2007 -- 10pm
  • Location: Cambridge, MA
  • Kitchen: Matty's Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Alex, Gunther, Matty, Clotilde, Russ, and a bunch of other partygoers...
  • Recipe Rating: B+

Alex successfully defended his PhD on Friday, and I made this cheesecake to bring to the celebration Friday night! It was pretty good. The pumpkin filling had a nice flavor too it, but Gunther pointed out that maybe it was a touch too heavy. The crust was a little moist for me. I always enjoy a cheesecake with a crumb crust that has a little crunch to it, and this one did not. The most disappointing thing was that although I added the optional bourbon (of course!) to both the filling and the topping, the bourbon flavor did not come through at all. Even knowing it was there, I couldn't taste it. Overall though, the cheesecake was a hit. It had a lovely smooth texture and the combination of flavors from the crust, filling, and, topping worked very well.

So for all of you out there who thought I was crazy to embark on this project: either I'm not crazy, or I'm not the only one. There is at least one other person out there doing the same thing! You can check out his blog here.

Looking at his blog, I realized that I like the bigger picture better. Hence I am experimenting with super-sized pictures for a while. let me know what you think!

The thing that surprises me most is not that someone else had this same idea, but rather how much he and I seem to agree on our recipe assessments. I have made almost every recipe that he has blogged about so far, and it's shocking how he and I for the most part liked and disliked the same dishes. We even made very similar comments on some of them. I would have guessed that a lot would depend on personal preference, or specific execution of the dish, but apparently not as much as I thought!

In any event, I think it will be fun to follow along with his project. I am interested to see if he will agree that the Chickpea, Lentil, and Rice Soup deserved to be put down the garbage disposal, and the Red Wine Risotto was completely divine!

No comments: