Sunday, March 11, 2007

Pickled Carrot Sticks (Page 909)

  • Date: Wednesday, March 7, 2007 -- 7pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B

I made these pickled carrot sticks about a month ago because the section of preserved things in The Book is always one that I am behind on. I was a little scared to try them so I didn't get around to it until this week (luckily pickled things last a long time!). Full disclosure: I am not a fan of most things pickled. I will eat pickled things for sure, but I usually won't pick the pickled option when I have a choice. So was I enthusiastic about these carrots? Not so much. But that's mainly personal preference. They did have a lovely (and pungent!) dill flavor, and the carrots retained a pleasant crunch. Eaten alone they were a bit strong for me, but I chopped them up and added them to tuna salad, and they gave it a wonderful tang and crunch. Matt (who is less averse to pickled things) thought they were pretty tasty.

First off, a shout-out to Alex, who successfully defended his dissertation on Friday! Congratulations!

It's starting to feel like spring. Essentially all I am doing these days is working, and staring longingly out the window at the sunshine. I took a few hours yesterday afternoon to spend time with Chris before he flew back to California. We had planned to sit in a coffeeshop, but instead we wandered through Cambridge and Somerville, sipping hot drinks and enjoying the beautiful weather. It was completely perfect. We ended up at a toy store somehow, playing musical instruments built for 4 year-olds and making fun of completely terrible math educational tools.

I haven't been outside yet this morning, but I am watching the people on the street walk by without mittens, or hats! I am eager to get out there...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

The site looks great. I've just discovered your blog and think the idea is wonderful. So wonderful in fact that I've been doing exactly the same thing for the last 6 months (and blogging about it for a week). I should emphasize that I had no clue you were doing this until half an hour ago. You're well ahead of me, and I just wanted to let you know I admire what you're doing and I'll be reading. If you'd like you can check out my version of the project at www.gourmetproject.ca

Regards,
Kevin

Teena said...

Hey-

That's really cool! I will definitely be following along with your blog (and trying not to let your comments influence me about the recipes I haven't made yet!).

Happy Cooking!

Teena

Anonymous said...

I really like the percent complete counter you have up. I was planning on doing the same thing, but couldn't find the total number of recipes in the book. Did you count them?

Anonymous said...

that last from Kevin

Teena said...

I did count them, but I wouldn't place any large amount of money on the accuracy of my count :) Also, I counted the sub-recipes as their own recipes (e.g. on page 537-38 I counted the Caponata and the Sicilian Tomato Sauce separately)...

Teena said...

And the number I got was 1293 (in case that's not on my blog anywhere...).

Anonymous said...

Thanks! I'm more than happy to let a little imprecision into my count if it means not doing it myself.
Kevin