Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Coconut and Macademia Nut Banana Bread (Page 599)

  • Date: Monday, February 19, 2007 -- 8pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: Matty's Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B-



I made this bread last week because I had some extremely ripe bananas that I wanted to use before they became rotten. This banana bread wasn't great. The flavor was fine, although the banana didn't come through as clearly as I would have liked. And although I like both coconut and macademia nuts, I think the bread would have been better without them. I would definitely omit the coconut if I made this bread again, as it gave the bread a very odd (and unpleasant) texture. My main complaints were definitely textural. This bread was very dense and almost chewy. I prefer a lighter banana bread, with an open, tender crumb. I liked the moistness that this bread had, but it is still possible to achieve that without the super-dense texture. Overall this recipe was fine, but definitely not one I am eagerly anticipating repeating.

It was warm today and the sun was shining. I am overwhelmed by the feeling that the winter quarter curse is melting away with the snow and ice.

I spent the evening with Michael, who looked well, and we had a very pleasant dinner together (take-out for me, not-so-delicious meal replacement drink for her). She was tremendously upbeat, despite everything. We spent the evening curled up on the sofa, telling stories and sharing news. We laughed a lot...

And now I am at home, sitting in bed under several comforters, feeling very sleepy and content. Everything lately has been so dramatic. This week though, things feel calm again. It's a different calm than before -- in some ways a much sadder calm, in other ways a more joyous one. Despite the differences, it's very nice to settle in to a new peace.

No comments: