Sunday, February 18, 2007

Tomato Barbeque Sauce (Page 479)

  • Date: Saturday, February 3, 2007 -- 11pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B+
I was in need of some comfort food a few weekends ago, so I made some North Carolina chopped barbeque, and this was the sauce that went with it. It was pretty good. My only real complaint is that it was too spicy for me, which limited how much delicious, delicious pork I could eat. It I make this one again, I will cut back a bit on both the cayenne and the tabasco. The sauce had a great flavor though. Everything but the kitchen sink went in to it, but the sauce still came out with a very cohesive, delicious barbeque taste. The carefully reader will note that the picture above is not a picture of barbeque sauce. It slipped my mind to take a picture of the sauce alone, so the one above is of the sauce on some chopped pork.

Right now I have mushroom barley soup simmering away on the stovetop and coconut macademia nut banana bread in the oven, both from The Book. Normally this would not be remarkable, but I have been in such a funk lately that I haven't cooked from The Book for more than a week and a half now. I woke up this morning determined to rise above my bad mood though, and here I am, cooking away.

Ok, actually I am sitting in a chair, resting before I clean up the huge disaster I made of my friend's kitchen.

Side note on why I dirtied my friend's kitchen instead of my own (especially strange because he is in San Diego): I find it unbelievably lonely to be alone in a space meant for two. Jessie is in Israel for ten days. She very rarely leaves town for more than a day or two, so I not so used to her being gone so long. And while I don't find it particularly lonely to be alone, it's weird to be just one person in a space for two. So I came to my friend's apartment, where I can be one person in a space meant for one. I didn't even have to break in since I am supposedly watering the plants while he's gone. He won't mind that I cooked in his kitchen (especially since it required adding a few items to his pantry), but I should probably clean up my mess...

No comments: