Thursday, February 15, 2007

Pineapple Upside-Down Cakes (Page 716)

  • Date: Wednesday, January 31, 2007 -- 9:30pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Ana, Craig, Ronen, and Matty
  • Recipe Rating: A-
Ana chose these cakes for dessert a couple Wednesdays ago. They were quite good. The cake was buttery and moist, with a lovely tender crumb. The topping was caramely and delicious, and the pineapple slice had that almost candied quality that is a trademark of pineapple upside-down cake. I also liked that this recipe made individual cakes. It was nice effect for each person to have their own small upside-down cake. This dessert was very easy to make, and extremely tasty. Everyone enjoyed it (even Craig, who is not usually too excited about dessert!).

Yesterday was Valentine's Day. The day was full of news, both good and very bad.

Last night, after I had stopped both crying and celebrating, my valentine and I got pizza. And to celebrate this (Hallmark manufactured, he would point out) holiday about love and togetherness, we ate pizza and chocolate pudding, and watched The Departed. It was perfect. The last few weeks have felt like months, and I am, more than anything else, exhausted. But despite it all, I fell asleep on Valentine's Day feeling comforted.

I couldn't ask for anything more than that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Truth be told Valentine's Day isn't a Hallmark-created holiday, but rather one that Hallmark seized upon to increase their profits by taking advantage of those who are lonely, guilty, or dispossessed. I don't go to any great length to celebrate it, but you should read up on the three legends behind St. Valentine himself. It's more uplifting than the commercialized crap.