Sunday, February 04, 2007

Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream (Page 855)

  • Date: Tuesday, January 23, 2007 -- 8:30pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Matty, Matt, and Ana
  • Recipe Rating: B
I picked this ice cream to make for dessert two Tuesdays ago (I am so behind on my blogging!) because I had leftover strawberries I needed to use up, and this seemed like a good choice. This ice cream was pretty good. The fresh strawberries gave it a lovely strawberry flavor, and several people commented that they really enjoyed having the strawberry seeds in the ice cream. The tang from the cream cheese was subtle, but it made this recipe more interesting than a typical strawberry ice cream. My one complaint is that the texture could have been smoother. I generally prefer ice creams made from a custard base for just that reason. A frozen custard comes out fantastically smooth and silky. It is impossible to replicate that amazing texture in a recipe where the cream base is not cooked with egg yolks before being frozen.

I haven't written in a while. It's not because I haven't been cooking. Quite the opposite in fact. I am terribly back-logged with recipes that need to be written up.

I just haven't had a good week. And whatever reserve I had for dealing with it (or putting it out of my mind) ran out on Thursday afternoon. And so I had a pretty miserable weekend.

But now it's Sunday night. Which means that in just a few hours, the week will be over. The coming week will be better. I ate dinner tonight. I hadn't eaten an actual meal since Friday. I subsisted all weekend on Clif bars, SweeTarts, and Campbell's chicken noodle soup. Tonight though I had barbequed pork, corn, baked beans, and cornbread. It was exactly the right meal to end the week with. And with the leftovers already packed away for my lunch tomorrow, it will be the perfect meal to start this coming week with too.

No comments: