Monday, February 15, 2010

Caesar Salad (Page 136)

RECIPE #1099

  • Date: Thursday, February 11, 2010 -- 7pm
  • Location: Palo Alto, CA
  • Kitchen: Emilee and Brian's Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Chris
  • Dining Companions: Emilee, Brian, and Sam
  • Recipe Rating: B+


I chose this recipe as the salad component of our weekly dinner at Emilee and Brian's house. I started by mashing garlic and salt to a paste, then whisking in olive oil and forcing the mixture through a medium mesh sieve. Chris cut white sandwich bread into small squares and baked them for 10 minutes. Then he tossed the bread cubes with the garlic mixture and baked them some more. I whisked together olive oil, lemon juice, white wine vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and minced anchovy fillet. (Note: the recipe also called for raw egg yolk, but noted that it was OK to omit it. I chose to omit it, especially because my dining companions included a 2 year-old.) I tossed the dressing with romaine lettuce, then sprinkled with grated Parmesan, the croutons, salt, and pepper. This salad was tasty. The dressing didn't have the typical color or texture of Caesar dressing because I omitted the egg yolks, but it did have the characteristic flavor. The balance of the greens with the dressing, cheese, and croutons was nice. I liked the garlicky croutons, but if I were to make them again, I would do it a bit differently. In particular, instead of using small cubes of white sandwich bread I would use larger cubes of good crusty bread. Good bread produces tastier croutons, which also look nicer. This salad was tasty though and everyone seemed to enjoy it.

This recipe isn't online.

Early this morning I made a grocery list (more seafood of course!) and got all set to go to the grocery store to buy things for dinner tonight, and then I just couldn't do it. I couldn't motivate to go to the grocery store for the fifth time in the last seven days. The All Seafood All The Time plan requires a lot of grocery trips. But today I couldn't do it -- so we ate out! Berkeley has an abundance of good restaurants, but I haven't taken much advantage of them since I have been trying to cook as much as possible. My dining today, though, felt very true to the Berkeley experience. I had lunch at a smoothie place, and dinner at a vegan sushi restaurant. Yes, a whole restaurant dedicated to vegan sushi. It was quite tasty! And it was a nice break from all the seafood! Tomorrow I will rally and head back to the grocery store before I lose my seafood momentum. I have plans for some cod, and some crab, and some scallops....

No comments: