Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Crab Cakes (Page 335)

RECIPE #1094

  • Date: Wednesday, February 3, 2010 -- 7pm
  • Location: Palo Alto, CA
  • Kitchen: Emilee and Brian's Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Emilee, Brian, Sam, Chris, and Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B-

I made these crab cakes as part of dinner at Emilee and Brian's place last week. I whisked together some mayo, egg, and whole-grain mustard. I stirred in some jumbo lump crabmeat then formed the mixture into 1-inch cakes and put them on an oiled baking sheet. I baked the crab cakes until golden, then served them with lemon wedges. These crab cakes were a bit of a disappointment. Typically crab cakes have quite a few ingredients to complement the flavor of the crab and to bind the crab cakes together. These crab cakes were much more simple -- too simple in my opinion. They tasted only of crab and mustard, and because they had so little binding they were incredibly delicate. My special gentleman described them as, "Quite crabby." Although he is a big fan of crab, he also would have appreciated some other flavors to complement the crab meat. This recipe certainly wasn't terrible, but I won't be making it again.

This recipe isn't online.

I have recently been going for a 3 or 4 mile walk each morning. In theory I would like these walks to evolve into runs, but for now walking the Berkeley hills is exercise enough. We are living way up in the hills, and on my walks I tend to head even further up. Today I stumbled across an absolutely breathtaking view of the bay. Standing there, for a brief moment I wished that we were living in the Bay Area permanently. Later in the day, trying to get somewhere and dealing with absolutely ridiculous traffic, I retracted that thought!

It's interesting to think about where I would choose to live if I had a choice. In academia there is not a lot of geographic flexibility. Jobs are hard to come by, and people tend to go wherever they are able to get a good job. So I have never really thought much about where I most prefer to live. Yesterday I was talking to a friend who is originally from the Midwest but now owns a place in San Francisco. We were talking about life in the Midwest as compared to life in California, and he expressed some desire to someday move back to the middle of the country. It surprised me, even though I have always wanted to settle in the Midwest. Apparently I am not the only one drawn in by factors like affordability, no traffic, and being close to one's family. True, Midwestern weather leaves something to be desired, but there are always trade-offs!

For now, though, I am enjoying winter in Berkeley very much, and trying to take advantage of the many things it has to offer. I am also very much looking forward to returning to Michigan in June! The best of both worlds...

No comments: