Friday, February 05, 2010

Turkey Wraps with Chipotle Mayonnaise (Page 189)

RECIPE #1092

  • Date: Sunday, January 31, 2010 -- 7pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Recipe Rating: B

I was looking for something simple to make for dinner one night in Indiana, and this recipe fit the bill. I started by making the pickled onions. I blanched slices of red onion in boiling water, then I drained them and added cider vinegar, water, and salt. I brought it to a boil, then let the onions cool in the liquid and refrigerated them for a couple hours. Meanwhile, I blended together chipotle chiles in adobo and mayonnaise. I toasted some tortillas directly on the burner, then I spread them with the chipotle mayonnaise. I topped them with roast chicken, shredded lettuce, and drained pickled onion. I seasoned with salt and pepper. These sandwiches were very easy to put together, and were fairly tasty. The pickled onions were great. They had a crisp texture, and a mellower flavor than raw red onion. The wraps had a great combination of textures and I liked the chicken-lettuce-pickled onion flavor combination very much. My only hesitancy about the recipe was the chipotle mayo. I like chipotle chiles in adobo, but the chipotle flavor was too intense in these wraps. I would have preferred it if the chipotle mayo mixture had about half as much chipotle in it. It made me laugh actually because the little blurb in front of the recipe in The Book said that children might prefer a combination of mayo and ketchup rather than the mayo and chipotle. So apparently I have the palate of a child! Actually, I thought the chipotle did contribute nicely, and with a smaller quantity of it I think these wraps would be very successful.

This recipe isn't online.

My special gentleman and I are once again in Tahoe for the weekend. He was a swimmer in college, and he is still very close to the guys from his college swim team. They all get together at least twice a year, and at least one of those trips is a ski trip. Tahoe is a frequent destination because someone's family has a huge, awesome house on the lake that we all can stay in. And we do need a big house -- the swimmer group is expanding, as people are starting to have kids! So full attendance at a swimmer trip these days would be 16 people. Two people couldn't make it this weekend, so there are only(!) 14 of us here: 6 swimmer guys, 6 wives/girlfriends and 2 babies! It's such a nice tradition that they all get together a couple times a year, and I am impressed that they have been able to maintain it over these last 9 years since they graduated from college. It's always fun when these guys all get together, and Tahoe is beautiful this time of year, so it should be a nice weekend!

No comments: