Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Stir-Fried Pea Shoots (Page 556)

RECIPE #1109

  • Date: Tuesday, February 16, 2010 -- 7pm
  • Location: Berkeley, CA
  • Kitchen: Our Temporary California Home!
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B+

I have been wanting to make this recipe for years, but I have been unable to find pea shoots. Their season is short and even when they are in season they aren't a grocery store staple. So when I saw pea shoots at Whole Foods last week I got very excited. My excitement waned a bit when I saw how much they cost! I needed one pound of pea shoots, and the pea shoots at Whole Foods cost $5 for a 2oz container. In other words: $40 a pound. My special gentleman was at the store with me, and when I glanced over at him I got a we-are-not-going-to-spend-forty-dollars-on-pea-shoots look (a highly specialized look which I will probably never get again). It's true that even though I an generally very frugal I am willing to pay ridiculous sums of money to make food for my project. But $40 for pea shoots was crossing the line even for me. In defense of Whole Foods (because I do love it there, despite the prices) they were some beautiful, organic pea shoots. I have no doubt they would have been delicious. But, I left them on the shelf and made something else for dinner. Two days later I headed to Berkeley Bowl, hoping that A) They would have pea shoots, and B) The pea shoots would cost less than $40 a pound. Berkeley Bowl came through for me. There were pea shoots, and the price was a bit more reasonable. Price per pound for pea shoots at Berkeley Bowl..... $1.29! Needless to say, we had pea shoots that night!

This recipe was super fast. I heated some oil in a skillet, then added smashed garlic cloves and some red pepper flakes. I cooked them briefly, then added the pea shoots, stir-frying until they were wilted and tender. I seasoned with salt and served! That was it! The pea shoots were very tasty. They had a prominent pea flavor with a touch of bitterness. I thought the garlic complemented them well. I wished I had added a touch more red pepper flakes for more kick. Since I rarely see them, pea shoots aren't part of my regular cooking, but this recipe definitely made me want to try them out in salads, add them to stir-fries, etc... They were easy to cook, and tasty!

The recipe is here.

2 comments:

AsianFan said...

Pea shoots are normal daily food in China. I was shocked to see the price for $40/lb at whole food. Luckily you found them at Berkeley Bowl. Next time you might sprinkle a little bit sugar on it and lightly stir fry. They are super Delicious.

Teena said...

I bet they are delicious with a little sugar! Thanks for the suggestion.