Sunday, February 14, 2010

Mussels with Garlic and White Wine (Page 333)

RECIPE #1097

  • Date: Tuesday, February 9, 2010 -- 7pm
  • Location: Berkeley, CA
  • Kitchen: Our Temporary California Home!
  • Fellow Chef: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B+

I made this recipe as part of the All Fish All The Time plan. I started by melting some butter in a pot, then adding chopped shallots and garlic and cooking until golden. Then I added mussels and white wine, covered, and cooked until the mussels opened wide. I stirred in some more butter, parsley, and salt and served with crusty bread. This recipe was super simple and pretty tasty. There are quite a few recipes like this in The Book: cooked mussels in sauce. As long as the mussels are cooked properly these recipes are only distinguished from one another by the sauce. In this case the sauce seemed very appropriate: butter, garlic, shallots, wine, and parsley -- hard to go wrong! My special gentleman thought a slightly different balance of ingredients would have been better: more butter, less parsley. It's hard to argue with that! But as it was it was fine. Plus this recipe was super fast with a Start to Finish time of 15 minutes. This was a very simple preparation that would make a nice dinner for anyone who likes mussels.

This recipe isn't online.

Happy Valentine's Day!! I will admit, my special gentleman and I don't really do the traditional Valentine's Day thing: we don't buy chocolates or flowers or anything heart-shaped. We do typically try to enjoy some good food together on Valentine's Day though! Yesterday over dinner we were trying to remember what we did on our past Valentine's Days together, and we failed pretty miserably. We had a decent memory of Valentine's Day number one, but numbers two and three we couldn't remember. So I dug through the archives of my blog and jogged our memory:

Year 1: We both trudged through an incredibly slushy day in Boston to get haircuts, then we picked up pizza and ate it in bed!

Year 2: I flew from Boston to Indiana to see my special gentleman on Valentine's Day, arriving just in time for a late dinner reservation at Ole (yum!).

Year 3: We were both in Indiana and we had an awesome dinner at Restaurant Tallent, the restaurant where we later had our wedding reception.

This year for Valentine's Day my special gentleman and I started our day by going for a long walk through the Berkeley hills. This evening we are having dinner with our good friends Emilee and Brian (and their son Sam!) at their place in Palo Alto. It is going to be our first Valentine's Day dinner from The Book -- so we'll see how that goes! I picked things that I am pretty sure will be delicious, so hopefully it won't be a disaster.

Happy Valentine's Day!!

No comments: