Sunday, February 21, 2010

Meyer Lemon Marmalade (Page 918)

RECIPE #1108

  • Date: Sunday, February 14, 2010 -- 9pm
  • Location: Palo Alto, CA
  • Kitchen: Emilee and Brian's Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Emilee, Brian, and Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B


Meyer lemons are in season now so I decided to make this marmalade despite the fact that my canning pot, jars, etc are all in Indiana. I made it and didn't can it, figuring we could just eat it right away. As it turned out, Brian liked it much better than either me or my special gentleman did, so we just gave most of it to him! To make this marmalade I started by halving the lemons, removing (and reserving) the seeds, then quartering and thinly slicing each half. I tied all the seeds in a bag of cheesecloth, then I let the lemon slices sit with the seed bag in water, covered, at room temperature for a day. Then I brought the mixture to a boil and cooked it for a while. I added some sugar and cooked it until it tested done. (To test: drop a mound on a chilled plate, put it in the refrigerator for 1 minute and if the mound doesn't run when the plate is tilted, it's done.) Then the recipe said to put it in sterilized jars, and then seal and process the jars. As I mentioned, I didn't do that but rather I just stuck it in some tupperware in the fridge. I served this with cream biscuits, strawberries, and whipped cream for dessert. This marmalade was tasty, but a little bit disappointing. It had a great Meyer lemon flavor and a perfect texture, but it has a very bitter aftertaste. Without that extreme bitterness it would have been absolutely delightful. I have a theory about why it came out so bitter. The recipe called for 1.5 pounds of Meyer lemons. The lemons I found were pretty small for Meyer lemons, which meant that my 1.5 pounds of Meyer lemon had a higher proportion of peel, and hence pith, than 1.5 pounds of larger Meyer lemons would have. Pith tends to be bitter, so my greater proportion of pith may have meant that my marmalade turned out more bitter than it should have. The version of the recipe online says to use 6 Meyer lemons (1.5 pounds). My 1.5 pounds was definitely more like 9 or 10 lemons. If I were to make this again, I would definitely opt for some bigger lemons, in hopes that it would take the bitterness down a notch.

The recipe is here.

I have only one sibling, an older brother. He is an excellent brother, but I always wished that I had a sister too. With sisters you can borrow their clothes, and get pedicures together... Having a sister just always sounded nice to me. My special gentleman is one of three boys. His older brother (Brad) is married (to Deniz). I am told that technically Deniz is not my sister-in-law, but rather my brother-in-law's wife. I refer to her as my sister-in-law anyway. She very much feels like family and somehow saying she's my brother-in-law's wife doesn't capture it. Deniz is very thoughtful and organized. When I ran my first half marathon she brought me clothes to wear after I finished so I wouldn't be cold while waiting for my special gentleman to finish his marathon. I loved the cropped yoga pants she lent me that day, and she helped me look for them after that. Unfortunately, the store had stopped making that style. A couple months ago, she gave me her pants that I had loved so much. When she gave me her used pants (and I very happily accepted them!) I felt like I had a sister!

And soon, I will have another one! My brother Spencer and his girlfriend Ellen got engaged just a couple weeks ago, and it sounds as though their wedding will be in June! I am excited for them, and excited about having another sister-in-law! My special gentleman and I visited Spencer and Ellen in Los Angeles a few weeks ago and had a great time with them. I am very much looking forward to us all spending time together in the years to come.

5 comments:

T said...

We all appreciated Deniz's willingness to donate her clothes to family... glad you get to benefit now, Teena!

Teena said...

Yeah, it's pretty great!

Deniz said...

Awwwww!!! Thank you, Teena!! I feel like I have 4 sisters :-). (Did I mention that it's very dangerous to be a fan of Lululemon on FB?)

Teena said...

Dangerous? How?

Deniz said...

Too much good new stuff posted almost everyday :)