Friday, February 19, 2010

Shrimp Smorrebrod (Page 180)

RECIPE #1104

  • Date: Saturday, February 13, 2010 -- 6pm
  • Location: Berkeley, CA
  • Kitchen: Our Temporary California Home
  • Fellow Chef: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B+

I made this recipe as part of the All Seafood All The Time plan. I started by cooking shrimp in boiling water, then peeling them. I whisked heavy cream to soft peaks, then whisked in sour cream, horseradish, salt, and pepper. My special gentleman sliced some avocado and drizzled the slices with lemon juice. I took some rye bread, spread one side of the slices with butter, then laid a lettuce leaf on each slice. I arranged the avocado slices, some red onion, and the shrimp on the lettuce. Then I spooned some of the horseradish cream on top and sprinkled with capers. These open-faced sandwiches were very quick and quite tasty. My special gentleman took one bite and said, "It tastes like breakfast in Norway!" Smorrebrod is Danish really, but this was reminiscent of meals I have had in Norway too. The combination of flavors and textures was very nice. The horseradish cream was delicious and it gave the dish some kick. The brininess of the capers also provided some bursts of flavor. This was an example of a lot of pretty strong flavors (rye, shrimp, horseradish, capers, red onions...) all working well together and complementing one another. I would make this again, but perhaps I would not use shrimp. I think this might have been even better with smoked fish instead.

The recipe is here.

I am determined to finish this project this year and I am certainly on pace to do it. If there is one thing that is going to stop me though, it will be shad roe. Shad roe has a very short season, and to make matters worse, even when it is in season not a lot of places sell it. So you never really know, is it not in the stores because it's not in season yet, or because they are never going to stock it? The shad roe season should be starting soon (apparently determined by when the shad decide to leave the ocean and swim up fresh water rivers). And the season can be short. I saw shad roe only once, in Whole Foods in Cambridge, Massachusetts. It was at least 3 years ago, and I had barely made a dent in this crazy project of mine. I knew I needed shad roe eventually, but I didn't understand at the time how elusive it is. So I thought, "Eh, I'll make that later," and I just walked on by. Now I am kicking myself! If I don't find shad roe in the next few months it will have to wait until 2011, which is unacceptable!! So, if any of you regular readers out there happen to spot shad roe at your local seafood counter, please please please let me know. Even if you live nowhere near me, it will still be very helpful to know that it has been spotted in stores, so I can be extra vigilant about looking for it. If you live in the Bay Area and you spot some shad roe, I will be forever in your debt if you drop me a line telling me where I can get my hands on it!

No comments: