Thursday, June 12, 2008

Dandelion Salad with Warm Pecan Vinaigrette (Page 137)

RECIPE #754

  • Date: Thursday, June 5, 2008 -- 8pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: Matty's Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B+

I saw dandelion at the store last week so I jumped at the chance to make this recipe! This recipe was very simple -- dandelion greens tossed with a warm vinaigrette with garlic and pecans. Dandelions are a fairly pungent green, and this dressing was the perfect thing to mellow them out a bit. The garlic brought a nice flavor to the salad, and the pecans contributed a bit of richness. Dandelions aren't a particularly popular green, probably because of their bitter flavor and their fibrous texture. In this recipe though the warm dressing helped soften the texture just a touch, and mellowed out some of the bitterness, making this a nice salad.

The recipe in The Book is very similar to this one, but the one in The Book uses pecans rather than hazelnuts.

My special gentleman and I ran out of cookies yesterday so tonight I made some new cookies from The Book. I was thinking a lot today about how much of who we are, and what seems normal to us, is based upon the people we spend time with. For instance, I almost always have homemade cookies laying around. I'm sure to most people that seems odd -- or even confusingly very 1950's homemaker of me. But to me it seems like an obvious thing to do. This, I am sure, comes from my mother. There are pretty much always homemade cookies somewhere in my mom's kitchen. If there isn't a fresh batch on the counter, there will be some stored away in the freezer. (Unless, of course, my brother visits. He has always been a fan of frozen cookies. He eats them straight out of the freezer and before anyone notices, the cookie stash is gone!) My mother is an excellent baker. In fact, growing up with her cookies around has forever ruined store-bought cookies, or even bakery cookies, for me. No one's oatmeal raisin or chocolate chip cookies can rival my mom's!

My cooking style is quite different than my mom's. She has her beloved recipes that she cooks with often, and I (obviously) am constantly making new things. But even though I don't think she would ever call herself a foodie or a serious cook, a lot of my ideas about food and eating come from her. So when I run out of cookies, I make more! And that, to me, seems totally natural...

3 comments:

HunkeryHart said...

You don't coook dandylions!!! They grow into nice flowers to give yoru mother when she is sad!!

Coming atyou LIVE at5 Eastcoast Time and feeling Fine!!

Jessica said...

You know, what amazes me about homemade cookies is how easy most of them are to make. I don't know why you'd buy them when they are so much better homemade.

My favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe takes me 10 minutes from starting to putting the first batch in the oven. That being said, I usually make them because I'm craving cookie dough, so the cookies are just a byproduct :)

Teena said...

Yeah I agree. I never buy packaged cookies because they are just not as good as fresh homemade ones!