Saturday, June 14, 2008

Oven-Steamed Whole Snapper with Black Bean Sauce (Page 315)

RECIPE # 755

  • Date: Thursday, June 5, 2008 -- 8pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: Matty's Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: A-


This was another recipe from the all-seafood-all-the-time plan for the summer. This dish was excellent. The premise was very simple -- a whole fish covered with some vegetables and fermented black beans, and then oven-steamed in a 13 x 9 inch pan covered tightly with aluminum foil. Here's a picture of Mr. Fish, looking happy as a clam before he went into the oven:


After the fish came out of the oven the sauce was thickened with some cornstarch and poured over the fish. Delicious! The fish came out perfectly cooked and flavorful. The vegetables were also fantastic. The flavor of the black bean sauce complemented the carrots and mushrooms beautifully, and they were cooked to just the right tenderness. This was an excellent dish. I would have probably given it an A had the recipe not called for the fillets to be removed from the fish before serving. As I have commented before, filleting a fish after cooking it usually results in some not-so-pretty fillets. On the other hand, the whole fish was beautiful! So why not serve it that way? Look how delicious the whole fish looks, covered with all those tasty veggies. I can't imagine putting on the table any other way! Other than that very minor comment, this recipe was a winner! It was super fast, and served with some white rice it made for a whole meal. Yum!

Here is the recipe.

In just a few hours I am off to Europe! Mike, Jenny, and I are all traveling together (which is great -- it is so much more fun not to travel alone). Tonight we fly to Amsterdam and then Copenhagen, arriving tomorrow evening. Until then I am busy tying up loose ends around here. I am mostly packed, and I just got back from my weekend long run (I figured I was better off doing it today than trying to do it tomorrow, totally jet-lagged). I have one partially-completed recipe from The Book to finish making and then I will be ready to go!

I have to admit, although I am excited about this conference, I am not so much excited about the traveling itself. I find flying to Europe to be very stressful. For one thing, I don't like to fly. I especially don't like to fly over the ocean, or at night. So a long, overnight flight over the sea is not-so-good for me. Add to that a bunch of minor issues (e.g. I can never figure out the best time to take my tumor meds. At home I take them at night, and go right to sleep so I can sleep through the part where I feel sick. But I can't sleep on the plane, and feeling sick on the plane only makes my anxiety worse... So that's a problem.)

In other words, despite traveling so much, I am not such a great traveler... poor Mike and Jenny! A friend commented the other day that if I have a 60th birthday conference someday, everyone will get up at the banquet and tell their horror stories about traveling with me! That made me laugh. I'm not that bad, am I?!?

4 comments:

mike hill said...

For the right price, I'll have no funny travel stories for your 60th B-day conference.

Of course, I'll have plenty of non-travel stories, but I have this feeling of "mutually assured destruction" which will keep my lips fairly sealed.

Hunkery Hart said...

I don't think you meaned runnig for the weekend long.

Also FISHis goodfor you to have brain foods. I eat alot ofit in the days when Iam at the ocaen looking for girls in bikinees!!

Cominatcha from the EASTCOAST live at almostfive!

Anonymous said...

It's kind of funny that you grammar was questioned by "hunkery hart"...

Teena said...

Good point... :)