Sunday, June 08, 2008

Sauteed Kale with Bacon and Vinegar (Page 541)

RECIPE #750

  • Date: Sunday, June 1, 2008 -- 8pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: Matty's Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Matty
  • Dining Companions: Jenny, Kenny, Ana, and Angelica
  • Recipe Rating: B-

Kale is not my favorite, so I chose this dish to go with dinner last Sunday so there would be a bunch of other people to eat it! Opinions about this dish varied tremendously. Jenny, a firm believer that kale is a wonderful vegetable, was not a fan of this preparation. She though that the bacon took away from the dish, adding an unnecessary fattiness to it. Matty, who is generally pretty kale-neutral, thought that this was a pretty good thing to do with kale. Of the various leafy-green-vegetables-cooked-with-bacon recipes in The Book, he cited this as his favorite so far. As for me, well, I didn't particularly like this dish, but I don't particularly like kale. It didn't seem like a bad preparation to me though. I liked the flavor from the bacon, and the vinegar contributed a nice acidity. There was nothing novel or exciting about this dish, but I found it inoffensive enough.

The recipe in The Book is very similar to this one.

Today was the first true test of my dedication to this half-marathon training program of mine. On the agenda for today: a four mile run in 95 degree heat. The four miles seemed manageable enough, but with the heat, I was not so sure... I put off the run as long as possible, hoping that the heat would break. But I wanted to finish running before it got dark (as running around Fresh Pond in the dark is a little creepy), so eventually I had no choice but to start running. At the beginning of my run, the temperature was 91 and the heat index was 93. Ick. Lacing up my running shoes I wasn't so sure this was a good idea.

But then I got to Fresh Pond, and there was RedShortsGuy. RedShortsGuy is one of those people that I have silently befriended without his knowledge, and without ever having spoken to him. I would imagine that he is also in training, because I see him running at Fresh Pond at least 2 or 3 days a week. I see him so often, in fact, that I feel like I know him. But I have never actually spoken to him. The great thing about RedShortsGuy is that he runs at the same pace that I do. So for the first two and a half miles of my run today I ran about 100 feet behind RedShortsGuy, keeping pace with him. It's nice to have someone to run with. In theory my special gentleman friend and I run together. But by "run together" I really mean that we go to Fresh Pond together and start running at the same time. However, while I struggled though four 10-minute miles today, my special gentleman was running nine 6-minute and 45-second miles. So there wasn't really much togetherness in our running together. That's ok though -- I had RedShortsGuy to keep me company. And actually, the run wasn't nearly as miserable as I had anticipated. The heat eventually broke (by the end of my run it was a balmy 83 degrees!), and there was a nice breeze off the pond. I was still drenched in sweat at the end, of course, but it wasn't so unpleasant. Tomorrow is going to be another scorcher here, but luckily it is a rest day for me!

6 comments:

mike hill said...

Wow. I can only imagine what that guy's `blog says:

"Today I went out in the heat to run again. I changed up the time so that I could avoid looking like a deranged stalker of that hot chick who runs with me. Though we've never spoken, I feel like we have a deep connection. If we run again, I'm going to ask her to marry me. Today she stayed 100 feet behind me the whole way. It must be love!"

vero said...

My guess would be.

It's official : I am being stalked. I keep changing the time I go to fresh pond. But whatever I do that crazy mathematician chick is always there. Today again she was right behind me and stayed there until I quit and went home. Whenever I slowed down, she slowed down. Whenever I sped up, she sped up. CCCRRREEEEEPPPPYYYYY!

Amy@RunnersLounge said...

Good for you in getting out in the heat! It's funny - I always felt weird about saying hi to runners who passed, but then I realized how much I like it when other runners give me a smile and wave so now I do it all the time. There is something nice about running with other runners - whether you have formally met or not.

Amy
www.runnerslounge.com
blog.runnerslounge.com

Teena said...

Mike and Vero: You guys totally crack me up! Maybe Vero's is more accurate though -- I haven't seen RedShortsGuy since Sunday. He might be avoiding me!

Amy: Yeah I should definitely be friendlier. I run around the same lake/pond 5 days a week, so a lot of the people are familiar. I always appreciate it when people say hi to me, but I don't often do it myself. It will be a new goal!

Liz C said...

Hi! I'm a new reader and have just started training (allegedly) for my first half marathon.

I'm also fascinated (but not in a creepy way) with cook-through blogs. I just started a blogroll of cook-through blogs and you're on it.

Oh yeah, and I bombed out of grad school... in mathematics.

I see some things in common! The main differences being that you are doing things that I daydream of doing and I bet I've got 20 years on you.
:)
Cook strong!

Teena said...

Hi Liz-

Thanks for adding me to your cook-through blogroll. What a fun idea!

We do have a lot in common: cooking, math, running!

I hope you enjoy the blog.

Teena