Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Watermelon Gazpacho (Page 89)

RECIPE #752

  • Date: Sunday, June 1, 2008 -- 8pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: Matty's Apartment
  • Fellow Chefs: Jenny and Kenny
  • Dining Companions: Matty, Ana, and Angelica
  • Recipe Rating: B

Ok, let's play a game. I will tell you that the above soup has 9 ingredients, 3 of which are ice, salt, and pepper, and you try to guess the remaining 6. You have a few clues of course: the name of the recipe, and the picture! But somehow I am not worried that it will be too easy. Here's the grading scale based on the number of remaining ingredients guessed correctly:
0 -- disappointing
1 -- literate
2 -- pretty impressive
3 -- not bad at all
4 -- extremely impressive
5 -- suspicious
6 -- cheater! (or perhaps you have made it before...)
Ok, make your guesses before I give you the answers...

(insert Jeopardy song here)

Ready? Here goes!

Watermelon
Almonds
Garlic
White Sandwich Bread
Red Wine Vinegar
Extra Virgin Olive Oil

How did you do? Probably not so well, because this list of ingredients is crazy!?! Who would have thought to make a soup with watermelon, 8 slices of bread, almonds, garlic, and vinegar? Apparently someone did, and here it is. But the real question is, how was it? You know what, it wasn't bad! It had a good (although unidentifiable) flavor to it. A couple people thought it was too vinegary. That didn't bother me so much. I found the texture a little off-putting. Even after extensive blending it was very slightly grainy, presumably from the almonds. But it was a refreshing chilled soup, and not at all repulsive. Everything was pureed except a a few watermelon chunks, and I appreciated the nice contrast the tiny chucks provided in the soup. I doubt I would make this recipe again, but it is worth making once just to see that list of ingredients come together into something pretty good!

Here is the recipe.

You will never guess what I did this morning! (Ok, ok, enough with the guessing...) Many of you know that there are two other people out there attempting this same crazy project that I am, Kevin and Melissa. Well it turns out that Melissa lives in nearby Rockport, Massachusetts, so she made the excellent suggestion that she and I get together and chat! So we met up for a cup of coffee today. I arrived at Panera before her, and thought, "I wonder if I will recognize her from the picture on her blog..." I was contemplating that, when in walks someone carrying The Book! That made her very easy to spot! It was such fun to talk to someone who has put a lot of time and heart into the same endeavor that I have! We flipped through a copy of The Book, discussing which recipes we liked, didn't like, had problems with, etc... That probably sounds totally boring to all of you, but it was really fun! It was so great to meet her and I am hoping that she and I have the occasion to do some cooking from The Book together! Here's a picture of us this morning, with, of course, The Book!

7 comments:

Kevin said...

Good job guys! That's really cool. The Project is leaving the confines of the internet. I guess you didn't get the chance to cook a joint recipe?

mike hill said...

Oh my god, how fun! You should totally have her come for one of your cooking parties. What a great idea, Kevin!

Melissa Bach Palladino said...

Kevin, we have a plan for a get together involving the three of us.

As we were looking at the recipe for Foie Gras Terrine and Teena was talking about how expensive it would be ($200 just for the fois gras), I suggested we ask Gourmet to underwrite it. She thought it would be more fun if the three of us got together and made it as the final recipe, sharing the expense.

I think that's a great idea!

Melissa Bach Palladino said...

Teena!!! It was so much fun to meet you and talk about The Book! Have fun in Europe and lets talk more about getting together in July when you get back.

Teena said...

Kevin: Yeah it was really fun. If you are ever in Boston/Indiana you should let me know!

Melissa -- It was great to meet you too, and some joint cooking in July sounds great!

Kevin said...

Montreal isn't too far up to road, so getting down to Boston is easy for me. Indiana is a bit more of a challenge.

I'm absolutely into collaborating on the foie gras terrine, and getting Ruth to foot the bill is a great idea.

Teena said...

Excellent! Well we will have to make some Foie Gras Terrine in Boston sometime!