Thursday, June 19, 2008

Roasted Monkfish with Chanterelles, Leeks, and Ginger (Page 310)

RECIPE #758

  • Date: Friday, June 6, 2008 -- 8pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: Matty's Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: A-

This recipe was part of the all-seafood-all-the-time plan for the summer. It is 8:48am right now, and yet I am looking at this picture thinking "Mmm... I could go for some of that." It was indeed quite good. Monkfish is a cheap, ugly fish, but prepared just right it can be delicious! This monkfish was absolutely perfectly cooked. It had a meatiness characteristic of monkfish, but still had a bit of a flake to it. The fish was tasty, but the vegetables were really what made the dish for me! The potatoes were perfectly tender, and their flavor melded wonderfully with those of the mushrooms, leeks, and sauce. I used shiitakes rather than chanterelles -- a substitution I would normally never make, but I already had the fish in hand by the time I realized there were no chanterelles. The shiitakes worked just fine though. This dish was simple to throw together and was a whole meal in itself. If you are looking for a monkfish recipe, I would definitely recommend giving this one a try.

The recipe is here.

European math adventure -- Day 4: I am continuing to have a good time in Denmark. The math schedule is pretty crazy, so by the time the math stuff ends for the day and I go for a run I only have time to eat dinner and go to bed. Luckily I will be in Copenhagen through the weekend (when there won't be any math lectures) so I will get a chance to see a few sights.

Today I am pretty exhausted -- I didn't sleep so well last night. Despite being extremely tired, I just couldn't sleep. The hotel we are staying in is pretty special. The rooms are modeled after ship cabins I am told, so they are extremely small, with very narrow beds which are bunked. The room is about 6 -8 feet wide. Whatever you are visualizing, our room is smaller than that. Mike and I are sharing the room (as usual -- we have been conference roommates for years now), and I don't require too much personal space, so the tight quarters don't particularly bother me. The one aspect of it that I don't like though is the bathroom. Not surprisingly, it is also extremely tiny. In order to save space, the shower is actually the whole bathroom. If you haven't been in this type of bathroom before, it's a little hard to imagine, but here's the picture: take a very tiny bathroom (a toilet and a tiny sink), and now put a showerhead on the ceiling and a drain in the middle of the floor. Now you have it. Obviously it takes some care to not get everything in the bathroom wet (e.g. the toilet paper, and your towel) when you shower. Even if you succeed in keeping the things dry that are meant to be dry, the floor of the whole bathroom is necessarily covered with water. I know it's just shower water, but nonetheless, the flooded bathroom floor seems gross to me. In this particular bathroom, there is another challenge -- the shower and the sink are on the same control, but there is a separate dial which has two settings to determine where the water comes out. After Mike showered a couple nights ago, he forget to switch the setting back to the sink, and I forgot to check it before I turned on the sink. So I went to wash my hands, and I got a little shower instead, fully clothed. Ah, good times... I have high hopes for out hotel in Germany next week -- namely, I hope for a real shower! I will keep you posted...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jeez...you seem to be getting unintentionally soaked a lot lately! I hope your hotel in Germany is better, too.

Teena said...

Thankfully the hotel in Germany was a considerable improvement. In fact our bathroom in Germany was about the size of our room in Denmark!