Monday, June 30, 2008

Okra with Tomatoes and Ginger (Page 551)

RECIPE #765

  • Thursday, June 12, 2008 -- 9pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: Matty's Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B-

Matty and I are all about having a vegetable dish with dinner, and this okra seemed like a nice accompaniment to a meal we had a few weeks ago. This recipe was just ok. I have two complaints. One, the okra was slimy. The Book promised me that this okra would be free of oozing, but it wasn't true. There was oozy sliminess in abundance. Complaint number two is that the sauce was bland. There wasn't a lot of flavor to this quick tomato sauce. Okra is good with a really hearty sauce (think: curry), but this sauce was just too light and flavorless for it. The net result was that the dish was boring, and not terribly delicious. If you are an okra fan you will likely find this unobjectionable enough, but this recipe certainly isn't going to make any okra converts.

Here is the recipe.

With my jetlag more or less behind me I am settling back into life in Boston. Today I went to the office, got some work done, went for a run, and made dinner. (Can I just say how satisfying it was to have delicious food at home after eating bad food in restaurants in Germany for a week!)

One thing that this trip to Europe made me realize is how much of running is psychological. In Boston, I always run alone. Granted, Matty is usually there somewhere, but since he runs much, much faster than me, I only see him in passing as we both run around the same body of water. On this trip to Europe I tried (with partial success) to stay on my running schedule. Since there were a lot of people around I was able to recruit some company for some of my runs. I ended up running several times with Jacob and once with Vigleik. It was shocking to me how fast four miles seemed to fly by when running with a friend. Vigleik and I ran five and a half miles together, and I won't claim it was totally painless, but it was manageable. Today, though, running alone again, I struggled through four miles. I never would have guessed that my running would be so affected by something so simple as having some company. It makes me think that maybe I should try to recruit a friend to run my half marathon with me! Any takers? It's on November 1st, in Indianapolis. My goal is to run 10 minute miles, which is pretty slow, but I'm ok with that. If you're interested, let me know!

4 comments:

Rachel said...

I SO would want to do that with you if I wasn't going to be 7 months pregnant by then. But I DO want to run with you this summer...for a few miles at least. 10 minute miles=perfect.

Liz C said...

Gee... if I wasn't way out on the west coast and a good 2 mins/mi slower than you, I'd run with you! I grew up in Indy so that could be interesting.

Jessica said...

First off, if I ran a mile in ten minutes I would drop dead, so I think you are awesome.

Second, is it possible for non-fried okra to not be slimy? I like it that way, but I've never been able to deslime it.

Teena said...

Rach: I wish you could run the half-marathon with me! But you're right that it is probably a bad idea when you are 7 months pregnant! I am looking forward to our run on Thursday though...

Liz: Yeah, it is a long trip from the West Coast!

Jessica: I don't know. My okra always comes out slimy -- but consequently I don't make okra very often, so I am no expert... We need an expert on Southern food to defend okra!