Sunday, June 29, 2008

Spicy Sauteed Broccoli Rabe with Garlic (Page 525)

RECIPE #763

  • Date: Tuesday, June 10, 2008 -- 7pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: Matty's Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Mike
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B-


I gave Mike a choice of several not-very-delicious sounding vegetable dishes to have when he came over for dinner a few weeks ago. He chose this one. I am biased against bitter green vegetables (although working diligently to overcome that bias), so I wasn't terribly excited about this dish. Mike and Matt do not suffer from the same bias, but yet we all agreed about this recipe -- it was just ok. We had all been looking forward to something spicy and garlicky, but in fact it was a bit bland. There was a tiny kick to it, but broccoli rabe has a robust enough flavor that it could have supported more spiciness. I noticed only after making this that The Book suggests that broccoli could be substituted for the broccoli rabe. I have no doubt that would be better -- for one thing, the milder flavor of the broccoli would allow the spicy, garlicky flavors to come through more clearly. There was nothing offensive at all about this dish, but it also wasn't very exciting. I didn't mind eating it, but I won't be making this one again.

The recipe in The Book is the same as this one, except the one in The Book calls for broccoli rabe rather than broccolini.

The fact that I am awake on this fine morning at 4am means one thing: Jetlag. It's my own fault that I woke up so early -- after making it back to Boston last night I went to bed at 8pm. I tried to stay up as late as I could, but I was just so exhausted. My special gentleman is out of town, so I came home to an empty apartment and the most appealing thing to do by a long shot was sleep. It's actually nice being awake at this early hour. Everything is very still outside, and unlike Denmark (where the sun started rising around 3am) in Boston 4am is still dark.

My trip home was pleasantly uneventful. My last night in Bonn I didn't go to bed until 5am (silly, silly me... but it's hard to not want to hang out with friends you won't see for a while), and I had to get up at 6:30am to catch a train to catch my flight. So I was tired. It was nice actually. Sleeping on cross-Atlantic flights is usually a complete impossibility for me, but with that kind of exhaustion in me, I got a couple hours of shut-eye. I arrived in Boston, still exhausted, only to find that they had decided to leave my luggage in Amsterdam (where our trip originated). It was especially odd because we had no connecting flight and we checked in 3 hours before our flight left. Mike and Jenny's bags each made it, but not mine! I didn't care so much -- it's much better to lose your bag on your way home than the other way around!

Europe was awesome, but it is great to be home! Maybe I will go back to bed...

2 comments:

mike hill said...

Two small corrections:

(1) I was also a dining companion (I didn't make and dash!)

(2) I also hate bitter vegetables! My pieces of broccoli rabe were not bitter for some reason.

Teena said...

(1) I only list people once.

(2) My mistake!