Friday, April 18, 2008

Cappuccino Brownies (Page 689)

  • Date: Thursday, April 17, 2008 -- 10pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Terry, Teri, Chuck, Lynn, Kate, and a bunch of people in the math department common room
  • Recipe Rating: A-

This is another dessert I made for my parents' visit this weekend. These brownies are very tasty (It's about time -- after a string of not-so-good recipes I was starting to worry there was nothing good left in The Book!). They are a little fussy to make, but definitely worth it. The espresso brownie base was delicious -- moist, chewy, and very chocolatey. The brownies were then covered with a cream cheese layer and then a chocolate glaze. The cream cheese layer was awesome! It was a mixture of cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon (how can you go wrong!). It was very creamy, rich, and delicious, and a wonderful complement to the rich chocolate of the base. The whole thing was topped with a glaze of chocolate, cream, and espresso. The glaze was a little bitter, which helped cut the richness of the dessert. Overall, a delicious brownie. You should cut them small because they are tremendously rich. Definitely a treat!

Here is the recipe.

Oh my gosh. It is before 6am, and I am awake. I was woken up out of a dead sleep a little after 5:30am by an EARTHQUAKE. I kid you not. Yes, I live in INDIANA, and yes, I was woken up by an earthquake. I lived in California for 4 years, and have never felt anything like this. My whole apartment was shaking. My first thought, "Damn undergraduates, what are they doing now?" My second thought, "Tornado?" My third thought, "Earthquake, seriously?" It seemed so impossible that the next thing I did was go to the window and look outside (standing near windows: not a recommended earthquake activity). After about 10 seconds the shaking stopped and I turned on the TV. The newscasters all looked confused, and kept on rambling about whatever they were talking about. Turns out each news station independently thought their building had been hit by a large truck. It seemed much more logical than an earthquake in central Indiana. Eventually one by one they started confirming that it was an earthquake. Crazy. Completely crazy. Now it is the only thing on the news. Like me, almost everyone thought it was a tornado before an earthquake... Or the wind. Or a big truck. No one else seems to have blamed the undergraduates, but they probably don't live in downtown Bloomington!

It just goes to show, you never know what is going to happen...

7 comments:

Deniz said...

I felt it in Chicago! I was in the earthquake in Turkey in 2000, the 8.3+, so I thought there was no way this was an e-quake (we had been warned of the possibility in central/southern Illinois/St. Louis when I was at school in Champaign, but it never happened). I woke up last night and was like - there's no way there is an earthquake going on in Chicago right now...but I really debated getting under the door jam...then the tremor stopped. I heard a heavy truck go by and I remembered my dad - when he first moved to ST. Louis - would always think there was an e-quake when a semi rolled by - b/c there are so many e-quakes in Turkey - so I didn't really think it was real (although my heart was pounding like it was during the e-quake in Turky) until this morning, and Brad emailed me the Trib headline! I emailed my sister who lives in San Fran to say "how bizarre is that I live in Chicago, and you live in San Fran, yet I experienced an earthquake last night?"

Teena said...

It's crazy, huh, to wake up in the middle of the night and everything is shaking! Especially when you are completely not expecting an earthquake. In California I felt a few and they never surprised me much, but I had no idea there are earthquakes in Indiana/Illinois! I grew up in Wisconsin and it was definitely an earthquake-free childhood!

I can't believe you were in an 8.3 earthquake in Turkey. That's crazy! That must have been really scary. I was scared by this one and it was only a 5.2. From my limited understanding of the Richter scale, it seems to me that an 8.3 is much, much, much more severe than what we felt last night!

Deniz said...

Your understanding of the Richter scale is accurate :). It was not pleasant. We were within a mile of the epicenter, which actually meant that nothing fell, but that the structure moved in circles. As you can guess, this is not a good thing for a building. The initial tremor occurred at 3 AM, and lasted almost a minute (also not good). For some reason, I instantly knew it was an earthquake. We could feel aftershocks for over 24 hours. It is not fun to feel those in the bathroom. Luckily, the area we were in is a suburb of Istanbul, just off the fault line, so it has made it through many bad earthquakes without significant damage (and it has become wealthier & more populous since the earthquake in 2000 b/c of that). Several cities have been leveled 3 times in the past 25 years (why do people keep living in these cities?) Oddly enough, I actually didn't know that Turkey had earthquakes (#2 behind Japan), so this was a fun surprise. I had never experienced one in my 20+ visits!

Deniz said...

I always say the wrong year. Not that it matters, but I checked my facts; the earthquake was in 1999, and was a 7.9 (still, not good).

Teena said...

Wow, that's crazy. Our minor Midwest earthquake scared me, so I doubtless would have been a wreck if I had been in the one you were in! I also didn't realize Turkey has so many earthquakes. Good to know!

Emilee said...

On your recommendation, I made these yesterday. They are so YUM! I was, however, appalled when I went shopping for the ingredients ... Brian refers to them as the $20 brownies. :)

Teena said...

Em: Yeah after making so much Book food I hardly think about the cost any more. I have resigned myself to the fact that nearly all of these recipes are ridiculously expensive. This one is particularly bad though -- but it tastes so good!