Sunday, April 13, 2008

Green Olive and Almond Tapenade (Page 891)

  • Date: Friday, April 11, 2008 -- 8pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B


I am constantly trying not to forget about the Sauces and Salsas section of The Book so I am not left with dozens of sauces to make at the end of my project. I was flipping through that section the other day and I saw this quick and easy tapenade recipe. This green olive and almond tapendade was fine -- unobjectionable but also not terribly exciting. It was extremely simple to make: throw some olives, parsley, almonds, lemon juice, and oil in the food processor. Blend. That's it. The point of having the almonds in there isn't completely clear to me. Almonds are an unusual ingredient for tapenade and they didn't seem to contribute much. The green olive flavor was so strong that you couldn't taste the subtle flavor of the almonds. And there were sufficiently few of them that they didn't dramatically alter the texture. I'm not claiming that they did any harm, but almonds are expensive so it seems senseless to put them in there if they don't add anything positive to the dish. Other than that this tapenade was like most others -- very olivey. If you like green olives you are sure to like it. If you hate green olives you are sure to hate it. It's as simple as that.

Here is the recipe.

Tonight during dinner my special gentleman said to me, "I am starting to get a little worried about the last year or so of this project..." It was hard to argue that he was wrong to worry. As he said it he was diligently eating the dinner I made tonight from The Book. I was eating a bowl of Smart Start, having rapidly abandoned said dinner after a few bites. On the menu tonight: Soggy Leeks with Oily Sauce, and Greasy Pasta with Smushed up Fish Bits. OK, maybe those aren't actually the names of the recipes as stated in The Book, but they are more descriptive. Basically, dinner was gross. Worse than gross. I am happy to eat gross. But this dinner was repulsive. So I had cereal.

I do think though that it isn't time to worry yet. I saved this Greasy Pasta with Smushed up Fish Bits recipe especially for when my special gentleman was visiting because it sounded much too gross to suffer through alone. (I'm nice, huh?) The Soggy Leeks recipe sounded a bit more promising, but proved to be equally disgusting. However, there are plenty of much better sounding things left in The Book. I'm sure there will come a time though when I make a lot of Book food, but eat many cereal dinners. It's a good thing I like Smart Start!

No comments: