Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Chocolate Mousse (Page 838)

  • Date: Friday, April 4, 2008 -- 9pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Randy, Peter M, Bert, Bruce, Dan, Vigleik, Tony, Ayelet, etc...
  • Recipe Rating: B+


I chose this chocolate mousse as the second dessert for my math dinner party on Friday. Thank goodness I did since the other dessert was such a disaster! This chocolate mousse was by far the best Book contribution to Friday's meal. It was pretty good. It had a rich chocolate flavor, and a smooth mousse texture. Most chocolate mousse recipes contain raw eggs, which makes me a little nervous about serving them to company. This recipe calls for the eggs to be carefully cooked though, which makes it a nice and safe dessert to serve to whomever you please! My only real complaint about this mousse was that it was a bit over-dense. Perhaps this could have been easily fixed by just folding in about one and half times as much whipped cream. As it was, it was less of a light and fluffy mousse and more of a dense, intense dessert. That said, I enjoyed it and I think other people did too!

Here is the recipe.

I was cooking this evening (penne alla vodka, chocolate espresso cashew bars, and beet jello -- yes, beet jello -- more on that another day) and I found myself unable to get a jar open. I banged on it with a knife, I used all the force I could muster, but no luck. It was really frustrating -- I became irrationally upset. What I am saying is this: I am getting a wee bit sick of the long-distance part of my long-distance relationship. Opening jars is a kitchen task that my special gentleman excels at. However, he wasn't here. So I had a little meltdown, sitting on the kitchen floor clutching a jar of beets. Not one of my finer moments.

The good news, though, is that we are almost done with the long-distance part of the long-distance relationship! Indeed, we've got less than 3 weeks to go, and then we will be in the same place (more or less) for months and months! Yay! Yay, yay, yay! My semester ends April 28th and then I am off to Boston for most of the summer. In the fall my special gentleman will split time evenly between Bloomington and Boston, and next spring he will be living here. Yay! Just three more weeks to go. And really it's less than that because my special gentleman friend is flying in tomorrow night for a long weekend.

I should note that the whole long-distance thing hasn't been nearly as miserable as I expected. It helps that we see each other at least once every two and half weeks. I am also a little bit less of a wimp about it than I thought I would be. Even today, after my meltdown, I picked myself up off the kitchen floor, googled tips for opening jars, and finally managed to open it myself. Maybe I don't need him after all! :)

1 comment:

Alex said...

Chocolate is a perfect food, as wholesome as it is delicious, a beneficent restorer of exhausted power. it is the best friend of those engaged in literary pursuits.

"I love chocolate. Have you ever seen a chocolate fountain? It is wonderful! Check this out.."

http://www.sarahs-sweet-fountains.co.uk