Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Frangipane Tart wih Strawberries and Raspberries (Page 778)

  • Date: Sunday, April 27, 2008 -- 3pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Many hungry mathematicians and their families...
  • Recipe Rating: A-


I made this tart to bring to the math department picnic on Sunday. This tart had a basic pate brisee crust, topped with a layer of frangipane (almond pastry filling) and then a layer of fruit. As pastry fillings go, frangipane is usually pretty low on my list. This one was tasty though. It had a nice almond flavor. The texture was less custardy than the frangipane I am used to, and a bit more firm and chewy. Now that I say it, that doesn't sound so appealing (mmm... chewy filling!), but it actually worked quite well. This was a simple tart, with clean flavors, perfect for the spring or summer. The tart crust recipe in The Book (which I have made many times already) is quite good, so this crust turned out well. The flaky texture of the crust was complemented nicely by the texture of the filling. Overall it was a tasty dessert --ideal for someone who prefers his or her desserts not terribly sweet, and not terribly heavy. It was the first dessert to disappear off the table at the picnic, and several people commented to me that they enjoyed it! Definitely a crowd pleaser.

The recipe in The Book is identical to this one, except the one in The Book calls for one-fourth as much almond extract.

In the entire month of April my special gentleman and I have spent only four days together. That is the worst we have ever done in terms of seeing one another, rivaled only by September, our very first month apart. It's made worse by the fact that both of our birthdays are this month, and neither of them contained in the aforementioned four days! Usually I have a pretty cheery attitude about my long-distance relationship (I love my special gentleman, I love our relationship, and the distance is worth it! Whoo-hoo! Go team!) but my positive outlook is wearing a little thin these past few days. I am starting to get a bit jealous of couples who actually live in the same state (which, it turns out, is most of them!).

But, relief is on the horizon. In 56 hours (not that I am counting...) the long-distance part of our long-distance relationship will be over! Yay! My special gentleman is flying in Thursday night, and on Friday we will get in the car and drive off to Boston (via Chicago for a couple days) for a whole summer of happy together time!

The truth is, the distance was actually a lot easier than I thought it would be. It helps that I have a great partner, who is great on the phone and very willing to travel. It also helps that the people I have met in Indiana are friendly, and supportive, and warm! So I didn't feel nearly as lonely as I thought I would. That said, I put in my time, and I am ready to be done! Only two more days!

2 comments:

Deniz said...

I really, really want some of that dessert right now. It looks so good!

Teena said...

Yeah, I have been wishing that there was some left myself! I could go for a slice of that right now!