Monday, April 28, 2008

Cocktail Sauce (Page 891)

  • Date: Saturday, April 26, 2008 -- 4:30pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Recipe Rating: A-


I have to admit, when I think of cocktail sauce I think of some scary, neon red concoction that comes in a jar. If you had asked me how to make cocktail sauce, I would have said, "Well, you could probably start with ketchup..." and then hit a wall. I had never given cocktail sauce much thought, or respect, and it had certainly never occurred to me to make my own. I went into this recipe with a generally bad attitude, but I figured with an active time of 10 minutes, even if it was terrible it would be no major loss. Turns out, my bad attitude was entirely unjustified. This sauce was very good. It was completely unclear that this list of ingredients was going to mesh into something cohesive and tasty: ketchup, orange zest, orange juice, lemon juice, horseradish, and Tabasco. Surprisingly though, it really worked. The ketchup was a nice salty background for the sauce. The orange and lemon juices gave it some citrus tang, and the horseradish and Tabasco gave it a little kick of heat. It was very cohesive. It would be perfect, of course, as a dipping sauce for shrimp, but I found it much more versatile than that. It would be tasty paired with a variety of seafood, or even chicken. I dipped some soy Chik Nuggets in it, and it was quite tasty! This recipe is a winner -- definitely a huge step up from the cocktail sauce you are probably used to.

This sauce is the cocktail sauce from this recipe.

Whoo hoo! After a day of administering a final, grading, discussing departmental grade distributions, and assigning grades, I am done! I am doing a little jig in my office chair. You can't see me, but if you could, you would laugh. Today marks the end of all my official responsibilities for the academic year. This summer I can devote more time to my research, do some traveling in a less stressful manner than usual, and enjoy being with my special gentleman!

You know, I spent the whole semester thinking that my students hated me. Part of it was that they didn't really pay so much attention when I talked. Then, mid-semester someone pointed out to me that one of them had written a nasty review of me on ratemyprofessors.com. That led to my general belief that I was hated. Today, though, I realized that they don't hate me so much. They just hate the class. I have gotten a lot of nice emails from my students in the last few days, thanking me for teaching them. Some students even came to my defense on the professor-rating website! Watching them take the final today, I had positive feelings about them. Many of them really did work hard in the end. My bad attitude about them really came out of frustration with a few students who lied and cheated throughout the course, but it's not really fair to blame that on the group as a whole. Next fall, faced with business calculus again, I am going to try to maintain a better attitude throughout the semester. One of my students wrote on that silly rating website "[She] absolutely loves math. She made me love math." If I truly did make one student love calculus this term (business calculus even!) that was an accomplishment to be proud of!

No comments: