Saturday, April 19, 2008

Chocolate Ganache Frosting (Page 724)

  • Date: Thursday, April 17th, 2008
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Terry, Teri, Chuck, Lynn, and Kate
  • Recipe Rating: B+

This was yet another in a slew of desserts I made for my parents' visit. I had a cake layer frozen from a previous baking adventure, so I made this quick ganache and thew it on top. How was it? Pretty good. Ganache is just chocolate and cream, so it is typically about as good as the chocolate you put into it. I bought some nice chocolate, so this ganache had a nice flavor. I prefer to fill a cake with ganache and frost with a nice buttercream or other frosting. The reason? Ganache this consistency sets up pretty firm, and tends to separate from the cake a bit, especially if you eat the cake straight out of the fridge (which I do -- who wants to wait for it to come to room temperature?!?). If you are an all chocolate all the time type person, you are bound to like this frosting though. If you are looking for something more unusual or layered, you might want to infuse the cream with some liqueur or other flavoring. Overall though, it was tasty and very easy to make and frost with.

This recipe isn't online, but it's easy. Melt together 12 oz of bittersweet chocolate and 1 cup of cream, then cool until it's the right consistency to spread on your cake.

My parents are in town this weekend, and we have been having a good time wandering around Bloomington, doing a lot of shopping and eating! Tonight we went to dinner at Restaurant Tallent, which is easily Bloomington's highest-end restaurant. I hadn't been there yet (it's a bit costly!), but I had heard many good things. To be honest, I was skeptical. Bloomington is a small town and one doesn't typically expect such a place to be able to support a truly excellent fine dining restaurant. I am happy to admit though that I was wrong. My parents and I had a WONDERFUL dinner at Restaurant Tallent tonight. I love eating, and I love eating out, but it is not often that I eat a restaurant meal that really impresses me. This meal, however, was impressive. The food was creative and delicious (a winning combination). More than once during the meal I thought to myself, "Wow, that's a great idea -- I never would have thought of that!" The service was excellent, the food was absolutely fantastic, and the whole feel of the place was inviting and lovely. We were seated right by the expediting window (which many people view as the worst table in any restaurant) but I love watching what goes on in the kitchen. The pastry chef was expediting (which is unusual, but whatever), and he saw me eying one truly fantastic looking dessert. After a lengthy discussion, my parents and I ended up ordering 2 other desserts instead. But when the waitress came with our desserts, she had 3. I looked quizzically over at the chef expediting and he said, "I saw you eying it!" So he had prepared me a special mini-version of that dessert. It was charming to be in a restaurant that both had exceptional food and a friendly, caring environment. I was extremely impressed. It was not a cheap meal, but in my opinion, it was well worth it. I highly, highly recommend. They have a new fan in me!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've just tried to make ganache to ice an alternative wedding cake for my son's wedding on Saturday. It has gone wrong. It is far too runny and although it tastes good it looks grainy. Do you know where I've gone wrong and more importantly what I might be able to do to save the situation. I've tried mixing in some sieved icing sugar - it still tastes good but far too runny. HELP!

I mixed 375g of melted good quality dark chocolate with 425mls double cream. The recipe said to boil the cream and mix with the chocolate.

Teena said...

It should firm up if you put it in the refrigerator for a while. If that still isn't thick enough (although it should be), heat it again, and melt more chocolate into it, then put it in the fridge until it reaches the desired consistency.

Hope that helps.

Greta said...

Good for you for trying to make your own cake. Your son is lucky to have the personal attention! For my son's wedding the most work I put in was finding the perfect bakery on http://www.gatheringguide.com/ec/wedding_cakes_bakeries.html. And hey, that's a lot of work! So out of curiosity, did it firm up?