Monday, April 21, 2008

Toasted Sichuan Peppercorn Powder or Salt (Page 395)

  • Date: Monday, April 21, 2008 -- 8pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Recipe Rating: A-


This recipe is a component to a Ma-Po Tofu dish I made tonight for dinner. It's difficult to rate this kind of thing. It's hardly a "recipe" -- you simply take some Sichuan peppercorns, toast them and then grind them up. How do you grade that? It tasted like ultra-fragrant ground up Sichuan peppercorns. As it turns out, that tastes good (not so much all by itself, but as an ingredient in a larger dish). I am basing my rating exclusively on the fact that this seasoning went into a dish that turned out very, very well. So would I make this seasoning again? Yup, I sure would. And I will, the next time I am craving some Ma-Po Tofu.

Here is the recipe.

Things have been so crazy here lately that I breezed right by the 700 recipe mark without even noticing! I clicked on the Project Index (link on the right) earlier today just to see how I was doing, and was startled to see that I had already made 701 recipes!

Every hundred recipes or so I like to make a few shout-outs to some of the people who support me in my project. First of all, a huge thank-you to Matty, who will eat anything, which prevents a heck of a lot of food from getting thrown away! Seriously though, Matty has been a huge source of support and enthusiasm for this project, and even from a distance his presence in my life provides me great motivation to cook. His general enthusiasm for food, and the things that I make, is charming and I am grateful for it.

These last 100 recipes have largely taken place in Indiana, where a whole new crew of people has been extremely gracious about eating experimental food. I was nervous about serving Book food to my new colleagues, but everyone has been wonderfully positive and encouraging, and I so appreciate it! I miss my various cooking crews from other locations -- the California crew (Em, Brian, Chris...) and the huge Boston crew (Ana, Alex, Matt, Mike, Ricky, Vero, Marco, Peter, Craig, etc...). You all have been such a big part of the success of this project and I look forward to cooking with you all again soon!

As always, thanks to Alex for the technical support. The Project Index that he coded and maintains is an invaluable source of statistics and progress checks for me.

Finally, a shout-out to the many people who support my project through this blog. I feel like I have a group of project cheerleaders out there: Rach, Magdalen, Deniz, Vero, and various anonymous posters (just to name a few). Your comments and emails are wonderful and encouraging! It's great to have such support!

So where are we? 703 down, 590 to go!

5 comments:

Deniz said...

Awww...thanks! I seriously do love your blog. Because of your blog, I tell other people they should start blogs so that I can keep current on their lives (and projects) :-).

Anonymous said...

As an "anon" supporter, thanks Teena!
You are a role model for aspiring academic/ professional females everywhere!

Teena said...

Thanks for your support!

Magdalen said...

Wow! Thanks for the shout-out. I'm just back from England; the wedding went great (you can see pictures at my blog in a couple days) and everyone seemed happy. I know we were, but then we're OLD, so the event was more about the houseparty and entertaining than about meeting our needs. Even at the "wedding breakfast" (the mysterious name the Brits give a wedding reception meal in early afternoon) I had half-an-eye on whether people were having fun, etc. Once a hostess, I guess.

Anyway, back to YOUR blog -- I love it love it love it. I haven't made that many recipes from The Book, which I did buy just to follow along, but when I'm looking at one, it's nice to know I'll be able to check to see what you thought of it!

Thanks for all the time you put into the project and the blog. And if you want to stop in NE Pennsylvania on your way to Boston (e.g. I-80 to I-84, or I-80 to I-81 to I-88 to I-90 - - ?) we'd love to put you up for a night.

Teena said...

Magdalen, your wedding pictures are beauitful! It looks to me like everyone was having a great time!

I'm glad you like the blog. I appreciate all your comments!

I wish we could stop and visit, but we're going to try and drive straight through. Next time!