Monday, April 07, 2008

Cheddar Jalapeno Corn Sticks (Page 601)

  • Date: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 -- 7pm
  • Location: Palo Alto, CA
  • Kitchen: Emilee and Brian's Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Matty
  • Dining Companions: Emilee and Brian
  • Recipe Rating: A-

What, no picture?!?! Sorry. Sorry, sorry, sorry. I had my camera with me in California, but I was staying at a hotel during the conference, and when I went over to Em and Brian's for dinner that night I forgot to bring it with me. I took a picture on Em and Brian's camera, but the two of them have bigger fish to fry right now (i.e. a 7 day-old baby -- not that they are frying their baby... boy that came out wrong...) than worrying about my cheddar jalapeno corn sticks, so I don't want to bug them for the picture.

Anyhow, I chose this recipe to make at Emilee and Brian's because it calls for a corn stick mold, which is a piece of cooking equipment I just don't own. Emilee, however, does. In her defense, it was a gift, and she had never used it before. In fact, I only knew she had it because she mentioned it to me in a conversation you could title, "People send the craziest gifts." Anyway, she may not have been excited about the corn stick mold, but I was thrilled not to have to buy one. So I made these cheesy, jalapenoy corn sticks at Em's place.

The verdict on the corn sticks: delicious. The verdict on the cornbread stick pan: ridiculous. It's a shame that I don't have the picture actually because these cornbread sticks were really ugly. The cornbread stick molds had these little kernels of corn indented, and the idea was that your cornbread would come out looking like ears of corn. Well, let me tell you something: Cornmeal is not the finest of substances, so it really isn't the best medium with which to attempt intricate detail. The corn kernels that were supposed to show up were so tiny that there was just no way this was going to happen. Instead, the sticks came out a mangled mess, bearing exactly zero resemblance to an ear of corn. Further, why would you want your cornbread to look like an ear of corn? Seriously people... seriously. Cornbread should come in a big hunk. It's easier to make a big hunk. It tastes just as good. And it doesn't look ridiculous. The hunk is the way to go.

Ok, enough ranting. You probably want to know how it tasted. Well, it tasted delicious! Mmmmm... cornbread! The cheese was an excellent addition -- it could have even supported more cheesy deliciousness. The pickled jalapenos worked well too. Be careful to mix them in thoroughly. I didn't get such an even distribution in my batter, so some sticks were spicy hot while others weren't so spicy at all. We ate these corn sticks with chipotle-rubbed grilled filet mignon and man was it good! My recommendation: add a little extra cheese to the batter and bake it in a cake pan, or better, a well-seasoned cast iron skillet. None of this corn stick mold silliness!

Sorry for the long blog silence. I am going to try to do some serious blog catching-up in the next couple days and I will explain then where I disappeared to!

No comments: