Monday, April 14, 2008

Poached Leeks with Warm Vinaigrette (Page 545)

  • Date: Sunday, April 13, 2008 -- 9pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: C-


The Vegetables section of The Book is getting a little dire -- most of the things left are either creamed or soggy. Between those two evils, Matty prefers soggy, so we picked these poached leeks to make with dinner last night. This dish was not good. I love leeks. I think they are amazing aromatics, and I am a huge fan. But in the same way that I usually don't just take a whole onion, boil it until it's cooked and eat it with a fork and knife, I don't particularly care for this preparation of leeks either. These leeks were soggy, with zero integrity left to them. The dish could have possibly been salvaged by a really amazing sauce, but that was not to be either. This vinaigrette was oily and just not very tasty. I pushed my leek around my plate for a while before abandoning it. The sign that it really wasn't good though was that Matty didn't eat it either. He actually allowed me to throw the leftover leeks away. This speaks very poorly for the recipe! Thumbs down for this one.

This recipe isn't online.

The semester is drawing to a close and I am starting to feel a tiny bit worn out. Luckily there are just two more weeks of classes left! I looked at my calendar today and realized that this entire semester there were only two weekends when I was home and no one was visiting me. No wonder I am tired! I had a relaxing few days this weekend with my special gentleman though. He left this morning to go back to Boston. It was hard, as always, saying goodbye, but also exciting because this is our last period apart before we have months and months of living together! A friend suggested that I make an advent-type calendar to count down the days, rewarding myself with a piece of chocolate each day. I'm a little too lazy to construct such a calendar, but I do have a countdown on the fridge. Days left: 17. It should fly by. I have a ton to do, both with research stuff and teaching stuff, and my parents are coming to visit on Friday for a few days. Plus, at some point I need to pack for my summer in Boston. Once you figure in clothes for an entire summer plus a ton of cooking equipment that Matty doesn't have, it might take a bit of time to get everything together. Luckily I am driving, so I don't have to think too hard about whether or not I really need each item -- I can just toss it in the car!

I'll worry about all that in the coming weeks. Now it is time for bed!

2 comments:

michelleMswenson@yahoo.com said...

rbfreyDear Teena,

I attended Emilee's and Brian's shower at St Bede's and am searching for a couple of the recipes. I found the chicken salad sandwich recipe (thank you!). Were you also responsible for the bacon stuffed tomatoes? Couldn't find that recipe in your blog, but perhaps my searching technique was the problem.

A GREAT project!

Michelle

Teena said...

Hi Michelle!

The post about those tomatoes is here: http://thegourmetproject.blogspot.com/2008/02/bl-tomatoes-page-26.html but the recipe unfortunately is not online. However, it is almost exactly the same as this recipe: http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1850,150179-229202,00.html
except that you should also season the filling with a bit of salt and pepper!

Best,

Teena