Monday, December 29, 2008

Almond and Brown Butter Financiers (Page 710)

RECIPE #896

  • Date: Thursday, December 18, 2008 -- 9pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B-


I made these small cakes as part of my holiday baking this year. I started by grinding almonds and sugar in the food processor. I then added four, salt, more sugar, egg whites, and almond extract. In a saucepan I cooked butter until golden brown. I heated the almond mixture and whisked in the browned butter. I then poured the batter into buttered mini muffin tins, and baked them until golden. I was a bit disappointed by this recipe. The flavor the little cakes was ok -- very almondy. But the flavor of the browned butter didn't come through. My main complaint, though, was about the texture. These cakes were extremely heavy and dense. There was also a strange sponginess to the texture. On the up side, they were nice and moist. One thing that was odd about this recipe, was that although the recipe indicated it would make 4 dozen little cakes, it barely made 2 dozen. I filled the mini-muffin cups three-fourths full (as instructed in the recipe), and that made 24 little cakes. So I don't know where this 4 dozen number came from. These cakes weren't bad (I mean, it was still cake!), but I certainly wouldn't make them again.

This recipe isn't online.

My special gentleman and I are still in Ohio with his family, and it has been busy, busy around here! On Saturday evening 23 people came over for a belated Christmas dinner. Then on Sunday, a different 22 people came over for another belated Christmas meal! So all together that means that we had 5 different family Christmas celebrations (my immediate family, my extended family, my special gentleman's immediate family, his extended family on his dad's side, and his extended family on his mom's side!). So I have eaten a lot of turkey, pork, and ham in the last few days! (Mmmm.... and Christmas cookies!) It has been wonderful fun -- I love family gatherings, and particularly those for Christmas!

Today things were more low-key. My special gentleman and I offered to cook dinner for the 7 of us since my special gentleman's parents did so much cooking this weekend. So we had a meal from The Book, which was pretty good. Now I am having a nice relaxing evening!

2 comments:

mish said...

Just made these, and I ended up with 4 dozen tiny cakes, as opposed to your 24 little ones. I still got the same dense consistency as you, though, so I don't think it was the size or timing. The brown butter smelled wonderfully in the pan, but the flavor didn't come through for mine either. Oh well.

Teena said...

It's good to know I am not the only one who ended up with super-dense cakes!